Johannes Greber's New Testament in PDF!

by cabasilas 1 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

The text of Johannes Greber's New Testament is available in a pdf. Information on how to download it is at the bottom of this message.

See the following URLs for some background on Johannes Greber and the WT Society

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/wtgreber.html

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/greber.html

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/demons.html

Basically, the WT Society quoted him as an authority for their rendering of John 1:1 for many years and after it was shown that Greber was heavily into spiritualism they did this about face:

April 1, 1983 Watchtower, p. 31:

Questions From Readers?

Why, in recent years, has The Watchtower not made use of the translation by the former Catholic priest, Johannes Greber?

This translation was used occasionally in support of renderings of Matthew 27:52, 53 and John 1:1, as given in the New World Translation and other authoritative Bible versions. But as indicated in a foreword to the 1980 edition of The New Testament by Johannes Greber, this translator relied on "God's Spirit World" to clarify for him how he should translate difficult passages. It is stated: "His wife, a medium of God's Spiritworld was often instrumental in conveying the correct answers from God's Messengers to Pastor Greber." The Watchtower has deemed it improper to make use of a translation that has such a close rapport with spiritism. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12) The scholarship that forms the basis for the rendering of the above-cited texts in the New World Translation is sound and for this reason does not depend at all on Greber's translation for authority. Nothing is lost, therefore, by ceasing to use his New Testament.

Problem is they had known about it for many years.

February 15, 1956 Watchtower, page 110:

10 Says Johannes Greber in the introduction of his translation of The New Testament, copyrighted in 1937: "I myself was a Catholic priest, and until I was forty-eight years old had never as much as believed in the possibility of communicating with the world of God's spirits. The day came, however, when I involuntarily took my first step toward such communication, and experienced things that shook me to the depths of my soul. . . . My experiences are related in a book that has appeared in both German and English and bears the title, Communication with the Spirit-World: Its Laws and Its Purpose." (Page 15, ΒΆ 2, 3) In keeping with his Roman Catholic extraction Greber's translation is bound with a gold-leaf cross on its stiff front cover. In the Foreword of his aforementioned book ex-priest Greber says: "The most significant spiritualistic book is the Bible." Under this impression Greber endeavors to make his New Testament translation read very spiritualistic.

11 Spiritualism claims that there are good spirits and bad spirits and that it does not want to have anything to do with the bad spirits but tries to communicate only with the good spirits. At 1 John 4:1-3 the Bible says: "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God. And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world." Greber's translation of these verses reads: "My dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to learn whether they come from God. For many false spirits have emerged from the abyss and gone out into the world, and are speaking through human mediums. This is how you can find out whether a spirit comes from God: every spirit who confesses that Jesus Christ appeared on earth as a man, comes from God. While every spirit who seeks to destroy belief in Jesus as our Lord incarnated does not come from God, but is sent by the adversary of Christ. You have been told that such spirits would come, and they are already appearing in the world." Very plainly the spirits in which ex-priest Greber believes helped him in his translation.

You cannot miss Greber's ties with spiritism. It permeates his translation. See, for example, the Beatitudes in Matthew chapter 5. The original German version is available at this link:

http://www.roypanther.de/Die_Bibel_NT/die_bibel_nt.html#1Anker

Downloading instructions for Greber's NT in English are below:

Click on the link below and when the next page appears scroll down to the bottom and look to your left for a [ yellow and orange button ] to appear and click on that download button.

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=bed28724ae210a982e03a73f234a5527

• carla
    carla

Thanks for posting that about Greber for the newbies, I'm sure they will be quite surprised. Most r & f don't know a thing about it and don't seem to understand the implications.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit