Is this a Kingdom Song?

by MissBehave 8 Replies latest jw friends

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

Help guys!!! This is driving me crazy....this is a classical piece by Anton Rubinstein called Melody in F. I swear they used major parts of it as the basis for a Kingdom Song. Does anyone recognize it and if so can you tell me which Kingdom Song? Thanks!!!

Here's a midi link....

http://www.classicalmidiconnection.com/cgibin/x.cgi/midi/n2/melodyf.mid

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It does sound familiar, and as I don't listen to much classical music, you could well be right. I can't put the tune and the kingdom song together, but it sounds like something I've sung along to in the past myself. My boyfriend is of the opinion it could be a jw song as well, but neither of us can place it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Was it 'Walking in Love's Most Excellent Way"?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Missbehave,

Nothing like being tormented by a melody that won't go away! However, Rubinstein's Melody in F is a simple, yet gorgeous melody that could be incorporated easily into another piece (examples later). I have played every Kingdom Song and use some of them in my teaching program. Very few Kingdom Tunes measure up to the sheer beauty of Melody in F. A few. I'll look into this and get back to you, unless someone else beats me to the punch. We don't want you lying awake at night over this!

With a song in my heart,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

CoCo is back with some good news, thanx to Nathan Natas! The song NN alluded to, "Love's Excelling Way" (#35) could be it. Both are in the key of F, employ duple meter (2/4 and 4/4 time) and are first cousins melodically. What is a signature, however, at the beginning of Melody in F, is middle C followed by B natural (a half-step lower). That mild dissonance is edgy and perfect as the ear expects B flat, which is part of the key of F. Expect the unexpected! #35 is charming and dear but it has neither the sweep nor lasting power of the Rubinstein.

Forever the classics!

CoCo

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Actually, It sounds very close to song #34, Living Up to Our Name. The first bars of this recording sound very much like the last bars of #34:

(Sing along with the tune) "Being Your Witnesses, great is our privilege; O may we ever live up to our name!"

At least that's what I heard in my head the second the tune started playing.

Who is up for a game of "Name that Tune" ?

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

thank you all so much for your help!!!! You have saved me from a sleepless night!!!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Missbehave,

Looks even better with The Captain's entry. Melodically, #34 is certainly closer to Melody in F. And it's the next door neighbor to #35! I was too caught up in the key of F. It takes more than one mind to solve the question of the ages.

Melodically yours,

CoCo

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

Actualy if the music is 70 years past the death of the composer,is it public domain and can be used without copywrite infringements. A good example is the William Tell Overture being used by 'The Lone Ranger.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit