Jehovahs Witnesses on The Heaven and Earth Show BBC1

by south african beef 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• south african beef
    south african beef

I just watched the Heaven and Earth show on BBC1.

There was a JW mum and her now 16 year old daughter on the programme. When the girl was 15 she needed a life saving operation which apparently required blood. The family sought and found a surgeon who would operate without blood.

The mother and daughter answered Gloria Hunnifords questions very well, but two things surprised me: firstly the mother said that even though JW's would not accept blood tranfusions, they WOULD ALLOW their own blood to be stored for future use - is that a new view?

Secondly, the daughter who was brought up a Witness said that even though she agreed with the descision to not have blood, she now is not an active JW - but that when she questions things she keeps coming back to the conclusion that the Witnesses have the 'truth'.

Did anybody else see the programme and do you have any other comments to make?

By the way, the full documentary is on BBC1 on Wednesday, 10.40pm on a programme called One Life.

SAB

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Secondly, the daughter who was brought up a Witness said that even though she agreed with the descision to not have blood, she now is not an active JW - but that when she questions things she keeps coming back to the conclusion that the Witnesses have the 'truth'.

I would guess the daughter is DA \ DF but would still refuse blood like I did when I first left. I thought it was quite a bizarre interview over all.

• south african beef
    south african beef

I thought that maybe she wasn't baptised yet and that she was in the process of making her mind up.

Having said that, it's very odd for a 16 year old Witness NOT to be baptised eh?

I thought the whole thing was a bit strange too - maybe they had been schooled by the elders etc on what to say, they refused to say what they actually would do if it was a life and death situation. I would like to see them asked the question as to what would be the repercussions if they had a blood transfusion to save their lives - would that count as disassociating oneself from Jehovahs loving organisation?

• R6Laser
    R6Laser
    Having said that, it's very odd for a 16 year old Witness NOT to be baptised eh?

Not really, many that I knew when i was younger weren't baptized at such young ages. What I do find odd, is that most here say that most young ones are required to get baptized early which is not the case. Of course there would be one or two that would get baptized early but those were the exception not the usual.

• bubble
    bubble

I don't know what backwater you're from R6laser but in my experience the vast majority of jw youngsters get baptised at a very young age. As a percentage I would say 75% get baptised under the age of 16!

• Clam
    Clam

Hi SAB

No didn't see that unfortunately. I reckon a reminder thread about Wednesday's documentary would be a good idea. The whole WTS is a confusing mess IMO. I had an elderette door knocker round here recently who failing to explain the fraction policy, said she wouldn't even take fractions, preferring the clear cut no transfusions dictat. Others obviously feel differently. On storage etc. "V" posted the following in his nearby thread:

OUR KINGDOM MINISTRY, NOVEMBER 2006 (km-E Us 11/06)

How Do I View Blood Fractions and Medical Procedures Involving My Own Blood?

The Bible commands Christians to "abstain from blood." (Acts 15: 20) Thus, Jehovah's Witnesses do not accept transfusions of whole blood or the four primary components of blood -namely, red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, and plasma. They also do not donate or store their own blood for transfusion.-Lev. 17:13, 14; Acts 15: 28, 29.

What are blood fractions, and why is their use a matter for each Christian to decide?

Blood fractions are elements from blood that are extracted through a process called fractionation. For example, plasma, one of the four major components of blood, can be divided into the following substances: water, about 91 percent; proteins, such as albumins, globulins, and fibrinogen, about 7 percent; and other substances, such as nutrients, hormones, gases, vitamins, waste products, and electrolytes, about 1.5 percent.

Are fractions also covered by the command to abstain from blood? We cannot say. The Bible does not give specific direction on the subject of fractions.* (Footnote: * Helpful information on this subject is found in the June 15, 2004, issue of The Watchtower, pages 29-31.)Of course, many fractions are derived from blood that has been donated for medical purposes. Each Christian should make a conscientious decision as to whether he or she will accept or will reject the medical use of these substances.

When making such decisions, consider the following questions: Am I aware that refusing all blood fractions means that I will not accept some medications, such as certain ones that fight viruses and diseases or that help blood to clot in order to stop bleeding? Could I explain to a physician why I reject or accept the use of certain blood fractions?

Why are some procedures involving the medical use of my own blood a personal decision?

Although Christians do not donate or store their own blood for transfusion purposes, some procedures or tests involving an individual's blood are not so clearly in conflict with Bible principles. Therefore, each individual should make a conscientious decision as to whether to accept or to reject some types of medical procedures involving the use of his or her own blood.

When making such decisions, ask yourself the following questions: If some of my blood will be diverted outside my body and the flow might even be interrupted for a time, will my conscience allow me to view this blood as still part of me, thus not requiring that it be `poured out on the ground'? (Deut. 12:23, 24) Would my Bible-trained conscience be troubled if during a medical procedure some of my own blood was withdrawn, modified, and directed back into my body? Am I aware that refusing all medical procedures involving the use of my own blood means that I refuse treatments such as dialysis or the use of a heart-lung machine? Have I prayerfully considered this matter before making a decision?* (Footnote: * Helpful information on this subject is found in the October 15, 2000, issue of The Watchtower, pages 30-1, and the Transfusion Alternatives-Documentary Series-On DVD.)

What are my personal decisions?

Consider the two work sheets on the following pages. Work Sheet 1 lists some of the fractions extracted from blood and how they are commonly used in medicine. Fill in your personal choice as to whether you will accept or will reject the use of each of these fractions. Work Sheet 2 lists some common medical procedures involving your own blood. Fill in your personal choice as to whether you will accept or will reject these procedures. These work sheets are not legal documents, but you may use your answers on these work sheets to help you to complete your DPA (durable power of attorney) card.

Your decisions should be your own and should not be based on someone else's conscience. Likewise, no one should criticize another Christian's decisions. In these matters, "each one will carry his own load" of responsibility.-Gal. 6:4, 5.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    As a percentage I would say 75% get baptised under the age of 16!

I would have to agree with you there, bubble, in fact in the circuit I was in it was probably an even higher % than that, and most of them were under 14, some pre teens, presumably blackmailed into getting dipped by their jw parents, aided and abetted by the elders.

I didn't see this show, but some shows are repeated online, so we'll try and see it later. It sounds interesting.

• dobbie
    dobbie

i missed that but will definately stay up for wednesdays programme, thanks for that

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    but that when she questions things she keeps coming back to the conclusion that the Witnesses have the 'truth'.

Not so uncommon. My younger sister does that too. You have to study the Bible thouroughly to see thru the jw-distortion and manipulation of the Scriptures. Most people won`t put on the time and effort to do that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit