More on Spirituality

by bythesea 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bythesea
    bythesea

I just read the current resurrected thread on spirituality and thought I would throw this out for those who are interested, and w/out hi-jacking the other thread! I attended a class yesterday and received this handout on the subject:

SPIRITUALITY.......

"The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everybody should follow one path. Listen to your own truth." .....Ram Dass

"The longest journey of any person is the journey inward."...Unknown

"Spirituality is coming alive with joy and the final value of all spirituality, however sourced or named, is what we are and what we do."....Unknown

"Spirituality is the opening of the self at its deepest level to God, a centering of the self in the God in whom we live and move and have our being."...Marcus Borg

"Spirituality is the way we orient ourselves toward the Divine. It is the way we make meaning out of our lives. It is the recognition of the presence of Spirit within us and the cultivation of a style of life consistent with that presence. Spirituality provides a perspective to foster purpose, meaning, and direction to life. It may find expressions through religion but is not religion."...12 Step Recovery

"Having to do with deep, often religious, feeling and beliefs, including a person's sense of peace, purpose, connection to others, and beliefs about the meaning of life."...Nat'l Cancer Institute

"....perhaps spiritual is that which opens our hearts, minds, being, and communities to take the chance of being ourselves for the sake of all the world."...Robert Whalley

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined is surely spiritual. So are our emotions in the presence of great art or music or literature, or of acts of exemplary selfless courage such as those of Mohandas Gandhi or Martin Luther King, Jr. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."....Carl Sagan

One of the presenters in the class made the comment of how spirituality is NOT morality, psycology nor religion. In fact, she said, religion can often detract from ones spirituality! I wanted to stand up and cheer in agreement!! Its so nice to be finding my own spirituality once again after so many years of just being religious!!

bythesea

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

bythesea,

Thanks for sharing those quotes on spirituality. I agree totally. It has nothing to do with moral codes or religion. We should have all learned this truth after having been witnesses. With all the rules and regulations I could count on one hand the number of truly spiritual people I met in the 12 years in that organization. And I felt that my spirituality was deeply dimished and almost to the point of being totally extinguished after my years of membership in the org.

Since leaving the org. my spiritual side has grown ten fold. And I do not currently belong to a religion. Also it is a personal journey and will vary from person to person. Lilly

BTW: has anyone read the recent Time Magazine interview on Baruck Obama's life? In it he talks a great deal about his mother and how although she never joined a religion nor called herself Christian or anything else for that matter - she was the most spiritual person he has ever known and taught him more about spirituality than he has ever learned in any church pew.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

One of the presenters in the class made the comment of how spirituality is NOT morality, psycology nor religion. In fact, she said, religion can often detract from ones spirituality! I wanted to stand up and cheer in agreement!! Its so nice to be finding my own spirituality once again after so many years of just being religious!!

A few years ago I would have argued this with you.....now I totally agree! The first time I heard this idea or philosophy, I had to keep repeating it to understand it being so foreign to me and all (at that time).

This ridiculous notion that the WTS feeds to its followers about how reading or listening to this or that will "damage their spirituality".....is simply more of their own indoctrination and controlling mindset. I, too, feel that I am far more spiritual than I was when following what some men in Brooklyn had determined what "MY spirituality" should consist of.

Annie

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Spirituality is not magazine placements? Damn, I thought I was very spiritual when I had a magazine route years ago. I don't care what you say, I was way more spiritual that most others because I had a multicolored set of highlight pens and I used them all!

As we all know, if there is a sunset with clouds a picture is always spiritual.

alt

W.Once

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Great quotes.... thanks for sharing...made my day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit