This is SO WRONG!!!!

by Seven 3 Replies latest social entertainment

• Seven
    Seven

With Tensions High, U.S. Muslims and Sikhs are Being Targeted Hundreds of Violent Attacks Have Been Reported
    By Salynn Boyles

Sept. 19, 2001 -- On the morning of Sept. 11, thousands of New Yorkers became the victims of hate when a terrorist attack brought down the two towers of the World Trade Center. That evening, Attar Singh of Queens also became a victim of hate when angry thugs attacked him in an ignorant attempt at retaliation. Singh, 66, was walking home from temple when three cars pulled up beside him and the five or six young men inside began shouting threats and taunts. Two of the men got out and shot him with paint balls. When he tried to run away, they chased him down and beat him with baseball bats. "I got hit on the face, eyes, knee, back, belly, thighs, everywhere," Singh tells WebMD. "I believed they were going to kill me. They wanted to kill me because of the attack." A recent immigrant from Punjab, India, Singh was targeted because he is among the 500,000 members of the Sikh religion living in the U.S. Although Sikhs (pronounced "seeks") have no ties to Islam, its members are being mistaken for followers of terrorist Osama bin Laden because they wear turbans and have beards. Between 150 and 200 separate attacks on Sikhs have been reported since last Tuesday, ranging from verbal assaults to murder. A Mesa, Ariz., gas station owner died Sept. 15 after a man in a pick-up truck fired three shots at him at point-blank range. Ironically, the victim, Balbir Singh Sodhi, had discussed holding a news conference in the days following the terrorist attack to explain that Sikhs are not affiliated with bin Laden and his followers, according to local media reports. "We have the largest contingent of people [in the U.S.] who look like the terrorists believed to be responsible for this tragedy," says Sumeet Kaur, associate director of Sikh Mediawatch and Resource Taskforce (SMART). "Naturally, people in our community are afraid, and we are telling them to take steps to stay safe." Atmosphere of Fear Last Tuesday's attack on America left many people vulnerable and afraid, but for Sikhs, Muslims, and Arab-Americans who are either U.S. citizens or are living in the U.S., that fear is now a daily reality. Hussein Ibish of the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) tells WebMD that roughly 200 violent incidents have been reported to his organization since the terrorist attack. Those incidents range from verbal assaults to serious beatings and shootings. The FBI has opened 40 hate crime investigations into attacks believed to be motivated by revenge for the terrorist actions, and Ibish says there is definitely an atmosphere of fear within the Arab-American community. "The attacks have occurred all over the country," Ibish says. "A major problem is that the sporadic nature of these events make them almost impossible for victims and authorities to anticipate. We are telling people to be cautious and exercise common sense. They need to be very aware of their surroundings and report all incidents to the police." As a high-profile spokesman for Arab-Americans, Ibish says he has experienced harassment firsthand in the past two weeks. The ADC's offices in Washington, D.C., are under police protection due to threats of violence, and callers to radio talk shows have threatened to kill him. His name and address also recently headed a list of prominent Arab-Americans posted on a Yahoo! message board that purportedly identified terrorists working in the U.S. The site has since been shut down. Salam Al-Marayati, executive director of the Muslim Public Affairs Council, says many of the incidents he has heard about involve children who are being harassed and physically assaulted at school. He suspects many school-aged aggressors are acting out as a result of things their parents are saying at home. An Albany, N.Y., mother of three named May, whose 13-year-old son was first verbally assaulted and then beaten up at school by another student, says she told her children to expect some harassment the day after the terrorist attack. The family is Muslim. Her children were born in Ireland and have never lived in the Middle East. "When the school called me afterward we both cried on the phone as we talked, and I rushed to my son thinking, 'Dear God. What am I supposed to do now?'" she tells WebMD. "Am I supposed to take my kids and go live in the Middle East where they don't belong? They would be called even worse names and would be subjected to worse violence because they are Americans." But May, who did not want to reveal her last name, says the school did an excellent job of handling the incident, and the other children in her son's class rallied around him, even threatening to beat the aggressor up. "I told them, 'no way,'" she says. "There is no way I would let them retaliate. The terrorist attack just made me sick. I am just as nationalist right now as anybody. And I am not about to let my kids think that violence is the way to solve anything." Staying Safe Many of the Arab-American, Muslim, and Sikh spokespeople interviewed by WebMD said their major objectives in the weeks ahead are to educate people outside their communities about who they are and to help those inside their communities stay safe. SMART has published an 11-point list of safety precautions it advises community members to follow. The group recommends traveling in groups, especially at night; carrying a mobile phone in public; and ignoring verbal harassment. "If someone makes a racist comment to you or tries to aggressively approach you, immediately break the tension by saying, 'God bless you,'" it states. "Tell them that you are a member of the Sikh religion, and that the Sikh-American community has also been devastated by these recent events." Some within the targeted communities have suggested that members change their style of dress until tensions are not so high to appear less conspicuous. But those interviewed by WebMD rejected this idea. "I don't think the United States should be bullied into changing its way of life by the thugs who did this thing, and I don't think that Arab-Americans or Muslims should by bullied by thugs in the United States into abandoning their own way of life," Ibish says. © 2001 WebMD Corporation. All rights reserved.

This is a national embarrassment!! These are our people and in some cases, our guests. They are not only living in fear of terrorism but also in fear of their own countrymen. This is insane!
    {{{{{{Sikhs, Muslims, Arab Americans}}}}} I'm so sorry.

THE FAMILY OF MAN
    Three Dog Night

This tired city was somebody's dream
    Billboard horizons as black as they seem
    Four level highways across the land
    We're building a home for the family of man

And it's so hard whatever we are coming to
    Yes it's so hard with so little time
    And so much to do
    Time running out for the family of man

One man to lead us with so much to say
    Moving the mountains that got in our way
    Prayer books and meetings to find a plan
    Deciding the fate of the family of man

Memories replacing the loves that we've lost
    Burning our bridges as soon as they're crossed
    Factories built where the rivers ran
    And time running out for the family of man

• logical
    logical

Its such a shame isnt it

The people petrol bombing mosques are no worse than the people who caused the damage on the WTC. They could potentially kill hundreds of INNOCENT people inside those mosques. They 99.999999% most likely had nothing to do with last tuesday, or any terrorist attacks.

This whole thing is full of hypocrisy.

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

yes it is wrong its ignorance
    lack of education of other people of this world and fear which breeds hate and hate which breeds violence.....

god bless america uh huh!
    S

I offer this as a commentary

The Deeper Wound
    by Deepak Chopra

As fate would have it, I was leaving New York on a jet flight that took off 45 minutes before the unthinkable happened. By the time we landed in Detroit, chaos had broken out. When I grasped the fact that American security had broken down so tragically, I couldn't respond at first. My wife and son were also in the air on separate flights, one to Los Angeles, one to San Diego. My body went absolutely rigid with fear. All I could think about was their safety, and it took several hours before I found out that their flights had been diverted and both were safe.

Strangely, when the good news came, my body still felt that it had been hit by a truck. Of its own accord it seemed to feel a far greater trauma that reached out to the thousands who would not survive and the tens of thousands who would survive only to live through months and years of hell.

And I asked myself, Why didn't I feel this way last week? Why didn't my body go stiff during the bombing of Iraq or Bosnia? Around the world my horror and worry are experienced every day. Mothers weep over horrendous loss, civilians are bombed mercilessly, refugees are ripped from any sense of home or homeland. Why did I not feel their anguish enough to call a halt to it?

As we hear the calls for tightened American security and a fierce military response to terrorism, it is obvious that none of us has any answers. However, we feel compelled to ask some questions.

Everything has a cause, so we have to ask, What was the nter cause of this evil? We must find out not superficially but at the deepest level. There is no doubt that such evil is alive all around the world and is even celebrated.

Does this evil grow from the suffering and anguish felt by people we don't know and therefore ignore? Have they lived in this condition for a long time?

One assumes that whoever did this attack feels implacable hatred for America. Why were we selected to be the focus of suffering around the world?

All this hatred and anguish seems to have religion at its basis. Isn't something terribly wrong when jihads and wars develop in the name of God? Isn't God invoked with hatred in Ireland, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Israel, Palestine, and even among the intolerant sects of America?

Can any military response make the slightest difference in the underlying cause? Is there not a deep wound at the heart of humanity?

If there is a deep wound, doesn't it affect everyone?

When generations of suffering respond with bombs, suicidal attacks, and biological warfare, who first developed these weapons? Who sells them? Who gave birth to the satanic technologies now being turned against us?

If all of us are wounded, will revenge work? Will punishment in any form toward anyone solve the wound or aggravate it? Will an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and limb for a limb, leave us all blind, toothless and crippled?

Tribal warfare has been going on for two thousand years and has now been magnified globally. Can tribal warfare be brought to an end? Is patriotism and nationalism even relevant anymore, or is this another form of tribalism?

What are you and I as persons going to do about what is happening? Can we afford to let the deeper wound fester any longer?

Everyone is calling this an attack on America, but is it not a rift in our collective soul? Isn't this an attack on civilization from without that is also from within?

When we have secured our safety once more and cared for the wounded, after the period of shock and mourning is over, it will be time for soul searching. I only hope that these questions are confronted with the deepest spiritual intent. None of us will feel safe again behind the shield of military might and stockpiled arsenals.

There can be no safety until the root cause is faced.

In this moment of shock I don't think anyone of us has the answers. It is imperative that we pray and offer solace and help to each other.

But if you and I are having a single thought of violence or hatred against anyone in the world at this moment, we are contributing to the wounding of the world.

Love,
    Deepak Chopra

• crossroads
    crossroads

AMEN
    Brother and Sister I cannot agree more. No reason to add
    anything to what you've said---Just continuing to march with
    my Peace sign---Urging people to Wake Up.

"War is not the answer only love can conquer hate"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit