Really old light

by still wondering 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still wondering
    still wondering

Does anyone remember these golden oldies?

President Kennedy was assassinated because he was a good man, "he didn’t fit Satans book", this was the society’s view according to those who had inside information. i'm not sure how long that view persisted, probably until the first TV documentary on his life.

The Berlin Wall fell because Jehovah decided it was now time to open up the work behind the iron curtain. Every year we were told this had already been done in the yearbook report for "other countries". They must have been lying to us all those years.

In all the illustrations Adam and Jesus had no facial hair. Apparently facial hair was a sign of imperfection. Thank goodness the light got brighter; I don’t feel so bad now with a beard.

Does anyone remember these or any other Golden Oldies?

• hambeak
    hambeak

Yeah I remember about Jesus with no facial hair Does the Paradise book ring a bell? Brings up another question if Jesus could have a beard why can't active Dubs?

• lawrence
    lawrence

The mid 1970's oil embargo and how "the valuable things" i.e. oil, would kick off the Big A.

The East Coast blackout in the early 60's and how the Great Tribulation began. Almost as bad as Jeanne Dixon prophesying that extra terrestials would be taking up youths over 13.

• blondie
    blondie

These sound like personal speculations of JWs not something I ever read in a WTS publication.

Blondie

• still wondering
    still wondering

"These sound like personal speculations of JWs not something I ever read in a WTS publication."

yes, but sometimes these persons were highly placed and in a position to influence others, DO,CO, branch overseer etc and as they had all been "appointed by holy spirit" we were being unfaithful to "jehovahs arrangement" if we ignored their counsel..

also, no smoke without fire often proves true.

Thinking of branch overseers, the reason why we spent the early decades of our married life in rented rooms ( and many others did the same) was because at an international assembly back in the 1960's Wilf Gooch stated that having a mortgage to buy a house was making oneself "a part of this system of things", and starting a family was better put off until the "new order". To this day i can still see and hear that moment that convinced me that to please Jehovah we needed to forget about getting a place of our own and thus be in a position to start a family, in his words to keep our life "simple".

Were he and others like him conmen?

They got our trust and proceeded to abuse us, physically, materially and most of all spiritually.

No doubt in my mind that’s the worst kind of confidence trickster, one that leaves absolutely no part of your life untouched. A religious conman has to be the worst kind, a compulsive thief, liar and hypocrite.

• still wondering
    still wondering

Another one I remember well was when our meetings were held in a large room in a public building that was also used by the spiritualists to hold their meeting on the same evening.

Our Congregation Servant (pre elder days) stated that the spiritualists had complained to the building management that their meetings were a failure since the JW’s had moved in and wanted us to either go elsewhere or change our meeting day as they were there first.

This he said was because Holy Spirit is stronger than Satan and this proved it, which is rather odd as the congregation was disbanded soon after due to a severe shortage of male servants.

Apart from the CS all the other servants were women, literature, accounts, ministry school talks at the time when only males gave talks, prayers (head covered), etc, etc.

For years after I was confused by this outcome, although claiming to be appointed by holy spirit had our CS got it wrong?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

When one becomes a JW and hangs around for any number of years....he is bound to hear these stories and "reasons why Jehovah does this or that" and passed along as gospel truth.

With age and discernement, some JWs can see right through these stories and decide whether or not they have any serious merit. Lots of these theories fall apart just by the passge of time alone and prove that the WTS has no more insight into what their god does, than any other Joe Public from any other religion.

The WTS thrives and depends on the smoke and mirrors that feeds their followers.

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit