How did you feel when you found out Jehovah's Witnesses were a cult?

by The wanderer 45 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    How did you feel when you found out Jehovah's Witnesses were a cult?

sick, scared, eager, nervous, unsure, curious, angry, regretful, hurt, and crippled

2.) Did you believe it was a cult?

I argued against them being a cult just as vehemently and effectively as slimboyfat on his best day.

3.) What research did you do in order to prove whether or not the Witnesses were a cult?

I knew that cults intentionally deceive people in order to achieve their aims. I knew that Jehovah's Witnesses promote themselves as the ONLY source of truth and that adherents MUST stay with them in order to gain salvation.

Disregarding ALL the other markers (for the moment) I decided to find out whether there was intentional deception in the doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses. After finding many examples of intentional deception (which I will be happy to discuss with anyone by PM), the only conclusion that I could possibly come to was that they are a cult.

They place themselves as the ONLY source of truth and the ONLY means for salvation, while intentionally lying. They lie to new converts and aged die-hards alike. And worse still, they teach the converts to lie for them. What else could you call it?

slimboyfat, whenever you want to discuss the intentional deceits I found and attempt to explain why they are not intentional deceits at all, just let me know.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Richard,

Most organized religions do not promote themselves as the only source of truth. Most organized religions do not restrict the pursuit of knowledge and the quest for truth to "organizationally approved" literature. Many religions do not point to the organization as the only avenue for salvation. Therefore, except in the absolute broadest sense of the word "cult", I do not agree that all religions are cults.

I agree that organized religions are generally an impediment to personal growth, but that is also true of most companies, governments and schools. Organization tends to have that effect; if there are not limitations on individuality there is no organization.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

According to Steve Bruce's typology Jehovah's Witnesses are a sect not a cult.

But it seems that Mouthy and others are rather using the Evangelical definition which is used to smear groups who believe differently than they. I do not accept, for example, that Jehovah's Witnesses "manipulate" scripture any more than other churches. All churches try to bend the various viewpoints of the different authors of the BIble into a harmonious account that, surprise surprise, happens to agree with their modern-day theology. Jehovah's Witnesses are not unusual in that respect.

Slim

• Arthur
    Arthur
    All religion is a cult. The moment we conform our minds to another unified group's view of things, we are being cult members. The only way not to be in a cult is to join nothing!

I too, respectfully disagree with this assessment. Not all religions employ the use of Mind Control as outlined by people like Robert J. Lifton and Margaret Singer. Not all religions micromanage the lives of it's members by stipulating to them matters that would normally be a personal conscience matters. Not all religions disfellowship members for simply not agreeing with certain doctrines. And, not all religions teach that everyone on earth is going to be slaughtered except for themselves.

There are indeed many spiritual groups who adopt a united or monolithic set of creeds and concepts. However, many of them do not punish their members for not accepting all those concepts. And, many of these groups do allow their members a level of personal autonomy that is not allowed or accepted in cults.

An honest examination will show that there is a huge difference between groups like the Branch Davidians, and the Science of Mind Church. Or, there is a vast amount of difference between the Unification Church (Moonies), and a Southern Baptist Church.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I began to realise they were a cult when I got to know the new light concept and that the GB were absolutely intolerent of any criticism or even any well meant advice. It sounded very strange having to wait on jehovah to change something that was wrong when so many other people were pointing it out...and getting thrown out for their act of good will.

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

I was stunned. I first thought there must be some mistake, it cannot be. The Borg is manupulative, but not a sect! Denial, first degree!

It has taken some time and I now realise it is mind control. I feel better for it. I was pissed off for a while.

Now I am at a bit of a loss with all my freedom. To think for myself, and not feel guilty all the time.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    slimboyfat: All churches try to bend the various viewpoints of the different authors of the BIble into a harmonious account that, surprise surprise, happens to agree with their modern-day theology.

Why shift the focus away from the issue of control, slimboyfat?

(1) Most religions DO NOT claim to be the only source of truth on earth and support their P.R. person (J.R. Brown) in lying about this claim when speaking with the press.

(2) Most do not claim to be the only organization that can lead someone to salvation and support their P.R. person (J.R. Brown) in lying about this claim.

(3) Most do not claim that if you leave their church, you have left God and support their P.R. person (J.R. Brown) in lying about this claim.

(4) Most religions do not threaten severe shunning as a consequence of "wrongdoing."

(5) Most religions do not consider open disagreement with church dogma to be wrongdoing.

(6) Most do not shun family members who remove themselves from a particular church (evidence in the fact that very few JW converts are cut off from their families for becoming JWs).

Most religions aren't cults, but JWs are. If Steve Bruce believed what J.R. Brown told him or what he read in the Watchtower, he might have a horribly distorted view of the religion since he would not be privy to the "Pay Attention" book or the "Organized to Do Jehovah's Will" book. And we now know for sure that J.R. Brown lies to the public about the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses.

But, to directly address your point, you are incorrect about what "all churches" do.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• carla
    carla

Slim,

I suggest you research Margaret Singer and Robert Lifton and find out just what a cult is. The jw's use the gb as the individual 'leader'. I can assure when most people who know nothing of the jw's or cults for that matter hear about the jw's and how they work the first words out of their mouth is usually, 'sounds like cult!'. They simply use common sense to see it is a dangerous group that somehow uses thought reform to keep and destroy its members. The human wreckage left in the wake of the wt is enough to give one pause and think, can this group really be healthy? How could this group even claim any association with God? It boggles the mind.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    .) What was your initial reaction on finding out
    that the Watchtower and Jehovah's Witnesses
    were a cult?

Disbelieft, shock, anger, sadness.

2.) Did you believe it was a cult?

Not at first, but now I do.

3.) What research did you do in order to prove
    whether or not the Witnesses were a cult?

Books on mind-control and cults that are not JW related. Crisis of Conscience. Learning that others, many others, have gone through similar and/or worse experiences than me and my mistreatment was not unique.

• Emma
    Emma

I just left the borg, not knowing at the time if they were right or wrong; I just couldn't do it any more and there were doubts in my mind. I found this forum and read Crisis of Conscience about five or six years out. I went into a depression over the lies and lost lives. The Malawi situation just was too much. I was sad and then angry that I'd give so much of my life to the cult and that I'd brought my kids up that way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit