what are the chances he,ll stay?

by luffy 6 Replies latest social relationships

• luffy
    luffy

What are the chances a 55 year old protestant who has become caught up with the JWS and is about to convert, will realise they are probably making the biggest mistake of their lives?..Anybody known any converts or had any experience of this?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I'm assuming this is your 'intended'? How long till he's Baptised? Is he still seeing/communicating with you? Did he intend to marry you prior to becomming involved with the JW (and are you sure he IS involved)? It's difficult to believe that a 55 year old would commit to the WT if they researched it - he needs to know the WTBTS's History........have you discussed it with him?

It's not possible to calculate 'odds', but he is still in the 'Honeymoon' period with the WTBTS.

Oh, and welcome luffy.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi luffy and welcome to the forum.

If he's attending meetings, he will be getting love - bombed to bits every week. This of course creates, as it is designed to do, an impression that the org is a loving, welcoming place to be. It's only after baptism that a jw learns what is really expected, and by then it may be too late. It all depends on the level of indoctrination that his bible teachers have managed to instil into him.

The jws are past masters at indoctrinating people, they've had years of practice at it, so for his own sake, and yours, get him to do some research before it's too late.

• luffy
    luffy

Thanks for your answers, yes he was my "intended" and I am thinking about resuming "contact" after a month of no contact after he has made it quite clear he will give up "the love of his life" for Jehovah, but wants to remain friends..I am already blue in the face trying to get him to research before he commits, but he just seems so blinkered it is unreal(definitely the most frustrating situation of my life)..I guess hes been indoctrinated by an expert!! as before all this he was the most loving and fun man. He says his goal for baptism is November, after not even being involved a year..and yes he really IS serious..he even shaved off his beloved goatee..ugh I think Ive just about reached the point at which I give up!!!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Use these boards to phrase the statements more correctly. Write him a letter asking for the answers to a few questions- if he answers them to your satisfaction, you will consider looking into this religion.

Questions can be-

Are the people who produce the WT considered prophets?

Did they ever say they were prophets?

A prophet who foretells something that doesn't happen- what do they call him?

Did the WT ever foretell something that didn't happen?

There could be more or better questions, but don't go too far, he'll tune out. Possibly ask him what the organization thinks of him having a friend who is not a JW, and of the opposite sex.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Hmm, 3 naive virginal women to every 1 guy...I'd say slim to none.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

You said it, luffy..."give up"...Enjoy the rest of your life, stress free. The guy cannot be worth the hassle.

Freedom is Priceless and you can have it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit