JW's in Quebec

by Jringe01 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

I was having a discussion with a friend about Quebec history, especially Maurice Duplessis and when the subject of his treatment of JW's came up I made mention of how he used the so called "padlock law" to prosecute them. My friend denied this point and even pointed to a Wikipedia article on the subject. The article in question says this:

While it was applied frequently against a range of radical leftist groups, allegations that Duplessis used it against political opponents and groups considered undesirable, such as the Jehovah's Witnesses are incorrect. [citation needed] The authorities used a different regulation to attack Jehovah's Witnesses. [citation needed] In the 1957 decision of Switzman v. Elbling, the Supreme Court of Canada struck down the law as unconstitutional.

Now I thought i had read somewhere that this is not the case..that Duplessis had indeed abused the "Act to protect the Province Against Communistic Propaganda" as it's offically called to charge JW's.

I know this is the type of subject not normally discussed on this board however if anyone has any copies of old WT literature that specifically mention any court cases brought against JW's using this law I'd appreciate it if you could refer me to it or possibly scan it.

Thanks ever so much.

• nelly136

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit