APOLOGIZE TO FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS FOR YOUR BEHAVIOR AS JW

by jam 6 Replies latest jw friends

• jam
    jam

I HAVE BEEN OUT SINCE 1987, WAS A ELDER. HALF MY FAMILY ARE JW, THE OTHERS ARE STRONG BAPTIST. I MADE MY REGRETS TO ALL MY FAMILY ALSO TO OLD SCHOOL FRIENDS. FOR NOT RETURNING CALLS FROM OLD CLASS MATE WHO WAS CALLING JUST TO SEE HOW I WAS DOING.FOR MISSING MY MOTHER 80th BIRTHBIRTH MY FATHER 70th BIRTHDAY. MY BEST FRIEND IN HIGH SCHOOL WHO ASK ME TO BE BEST MAN IN WEDDING. I HAVE APOLOGIZE TO EVERYONE THAT NEW ME BEFORE I WAS A JW AND ALSO THOSE THAT NEW AS A JW. I TOLD THEM I LOST MY MIND FOR 18YRS.

• JT
    JT

So did my wife and I , it was amazing what their reactions were, ALL positive

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi jam, and welcome to the forum

I didn't need to apologise to people when I left, my mum and the fea non jw friends I had left were just happy to see that I'd come to my senses at last. They congratulated me.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Jam,

By telling my friends and family that I was leaving the JWs, I was in effect apologizing by admitting that the JWs are in error. But, I lived a sincere life as a JW, and I do not apologize for living as I thought was the best. My friends and family welcomed me with open arms, though they did not ask that I apologize, neither did they need to grant forgiveness. It was all understood, and life moved forward. Admittedly, I am among the more fortunate, because any other scenario could also have happened, such as family or friends remaining pissed off, or some of my immediate family remaining JWs.

Jim Whitney

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

It's the right thing to do, esp. if you were an elder and participated in a JC where people got hurt by being publically reproved or disfellowshipped. Just because we thought and believed what we did was right, doesn't make it so. People won't always demand apologies for it, but it's the right thing to do, regardless of potential legal entanglements, such as civil suits for mis-guided actions. I can understand why many don't go through with apologies. It's a painful thing to choose to do, but it's rightly done. No need to gravel, though, you know? Hugs to you for doing it. I have wondered how many xjw elders have tried to make amends to those whose lives they might have helped damage.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Yes, I recently felt compelled to apologize to my Catholic relatives - I realized that outside of friends here on JWD - They have always been there for me. My Catholic god-mother, especially. She phones me frequently to see how I'm doing - unlike her brother my JW elder stepdad. She even to this day, never forgets my birthday - always sending me a card, or some small token of the day. My Catholic cousins are equally considerate. When I apologized - none of them felt it was necessary - they were all very forgiving...realizing that I was so young when my mother became JW and I followed along. Yes, I am glad I phoned them with my apology - it's like a burden off my conscience.

• benext
    benext

Thanks to my being held hostage by the WT organization from youth into adulthood I have long been alienated from relatives. Those I'm able to locate now I call but there are many cousins I'll never know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit