Taking an Oath/Pledging Allegience

by BritBoy 2 Replies latest jw friends

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

I naturalised as a British Citizen and had to take an Oath of Allegience to Queen Elizabeth in front of a Magistrate. And now I believe there are Citizenship Ceremonies for new citizens, very similar to the American system. Does this mean that active dubs cannot naturalise in these countries?

What's the stance on this?

Brit

• zeroday
    zeroday

g757/22p.28TheTakingofOaths***

A true Christian, then, would not take an oath that would involve him in the controversies of the world or that would subject him unquestioningly to the will of another human. But what if a nation required that such an oath be taken by those desiring to become citizens? Could a person dedicated to God take an oath of that kind with mental reservations, reasoning that sex, age or other factors would make it unlikely that what had been sworn would ever be required?The individual must decide, but it would not be Christian to make a false oath of any kind, even if refusal to do so resulted in being denied the rights of citizenship.?Eph. 4:25; compare Hosea 10:1, 4.

• blondie
    blondie

They can but I think they request formally not to say the oath. There might be something on the CD on this under "oath."

http://www.drbilllong.com/FreeExercise/Girouard.html

Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America

Required for legal immigrants to become citizens of the United States

Oath: "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;

that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic;

that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law;

that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law;

that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law;

and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;so help me God."

United States Immigration and Naturalization Service

http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/naturalization-oath-ceremony.html

Notice section on changes to the oath

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit