Interesting, I wonder if this will apply to JW's too?

by BritBoy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

Cold calling exclusion zones are springing up across the UK as householders try to deter door-to-door callers, including the latest strain of doorstep "seller" - the charity fundraiser.

The town centre has become their roaming ground, but lately, or so it seems, those insistent young fundraisers known to many as chuggers - charity muggers - have moved from High Street to side street.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5341696.stm

• restrangled
    restrangled

If I am understanding your post correctly, it means no one is allowed to come in and advertise, evangelize, etc.

We already have that here in our "Gated Communities"......My mom lived in one for a while and absolutely no door to door activity of any sort was allowed, including the JWs.

She by-passed this by sending letters.

The only responses she got back were ....STOP SENDING JUNK MAIL!

r.

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

If I am understanding your post correctly, it means no one is allowed to come in and advertise, evangelize, etc.

We already have that here in our "Gated Communities"......My mom lived in one for a while and absolutely no door to door activity of any sort was allowed, including the JWs.

She by-passed this by sending letters.

The only responses she got back were ....STOP SENDING JUNK MAIL!

Having lived in Southern Africa, I am well aware of Gated Communities, but here in the UK, we have VERY few, if any. This will be entire councils, similar I guess to the US County's, outlawing door to door work.... Could get VERY interesting.

• south african beef
    south african beef

I'm not sure that it applies to the Witto's.

My understanding was that some councils were trying to cut down on people selling things door to door, particularly new roofing, driveways, garden makeovers etc.

The JW's would of course argue that they are not selling anything - that the 'life saving' message is given without cost.

We'll see how it pans out.

• earthtone
    earthtone

I wish my area was a cold calling exculsion zone. Someone is always trying to sell me the tribune or get me to buy candy bars for some lame school activity (drama, soccer, basketball, debate team). Enough already!

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I read this and wondered if it would affect the witnesses too. It's mainly talking about charity workers.

funny though, since I stopped going door to door, I have become very intolerant of people cold calling me!

I'm just so glad I dont have to do it anymore!!

Poppy

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I suppose the jws will try to get round it by saying they are not selling anything, but if the powers that be decide no callers of any kind, it would restrict their activity in certain areas. I expect they'd call it persecution.

• hambeak
    hambeak

It happened in US a city passed an ordinance banning all door to door activity and the wts took it to the US supreme court and won It was in an Awake article not too long ago I believe it happened in Ohio

Ham

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit