Cajun Food

by Frenchy 5 Replies latest social physical

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Anybody interested in Cajun food? Anybody here know how to make a real gumbo?

• Seven
    Seven

Frenchy, One thing I've learned is that there
    are as many gumbo recipes as there are cooks in south Louisiana. I am sure you have a few excellent ones of your own to share. Here is the one I have used since I was tall enough to reach the stove. Usually I make it with whatever leftovers I have in the kitchen(chicken, sausage-andouille,if available,or a combination of seafoods). In order to simplify things I'll use chicken here:

Ingredients:
    1 whole chicken
    3 quarts of water(enough to cover chicken)
    1 stalk celery- cut into chunks
    2 whole green onions
    1 bay leaf
    salt and pepper to taste
    4 Tablespoons of flour
    4 Tablespoons of oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    l large green pepper chopped
    1 cup chopped green onions(reserve a few for garnish)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons butter or oil
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1 pound of fresh okra-sliced
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper and or a dash of
    hot sause(my favorite is Catalpa Plantation-Mississippi Hot Sauce or Cafe Louisiane)
    1 Tablespoon file powder
    chopped tomatoes / freshly made white rice
    Place chicken, water, celery, onions(whole green), bay leaf & salt/pepper in a large pot. Over medium heat, cook until chicken is tender. 30-45 minutes.

Make the roux while the chicken is cooking.
    In a heavy pan over low heat combine the oil and flour. Stir this constantly with a wooden spoon until the flour begins to darken. BE PATIENT. It will gradually turn to a rich colored brown-like a penny. If you scorch it, it won't thicken the gumbo. Usually takes 20-30 minutes to make.

The chicken should be done now so remove it from the pot and let cool. Strain the broth and taste for seasoning. Add the strained broth to the roux while stirring with a wooden spoon.
    In a large kettle-medium heat, cook the onion,bell pepper, celery green onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter or oil, until they are soft. Add to roux mixture. Add parsley. Stir constantly until smooth and boiling. Add the okra, salt, pepper, cayenne,& hot sauce. A dash of worcestershire
    and taste for seasoning. cook slowly for 30 minutes.
    While the gumbo cooks, cut up and dice the chicken. Add to the gumbo and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Slowly add the file, stir gently to keep it from lumping.
    Place rice in individual bowls and top with gumbo. Top with some chopped green onions. Some may want additional file to sprinkle on.
    Enjoy!

Now-Tell me what I did wrong. lol

7of9

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Hey, Seven, I didn't know you wuz cajun! That's a great recipe, NOTHING WRONG WITH DAT AT ALL! ...except for one t'ing. --You forgot to invite me over! LOL. Yummy, I can almost smell it from here!

Where are you from anyway, to know how to cook like that?

• Seven
    Seven

Frenchy, All this talk of Cajun food left me no choice but to start a pot of gumbo this morning-it cooks as I type! I love good ole down home southern cooking! Hard to believe I am a Yankee. I learned this art from my Uncle's new bride when he brought her up north from Louisiana. She soon became my favorite Aunt and I made many trips back home with her to visit her folks...fond childhood memories.
    It's time to stir in the okra. I'll let you know when it's ready to eat...lol.

7of9

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Hey Seven.. ya forgot da potato salat....

• Seven
    Seven

You bring the potato salata and I'll make some fresh corn bread!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit