curious about the history of the disfellowshipping practice

by anakolouthos 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• anakolouthos
    anakolouthos

A few weeks ago, someone made a comment that the disfellowhipping policy had changed considerably throughout the Society's history, with the early organization showing a much gentler attitude toward disfellowshipping. It was stated the the Society has even used the same scriptures to justify different attitudes toward disfellowshipping. Has anyone researched this? Any scans or quotes? I'm especially interested in seeing how the same scripture could be interpreted to justify 2 opposing views of disfellowshipping. If anyone could help me with some info, i would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

• Mulan
    Mulan

As I recall, from a child's viewpoint, it started about 1954. It was pretty strict, but family was able to associate freely. My father was df'd and a young pregnant sister in our congregation within a few months of each other (no connection :) Both in 1954. I was 8 or 9 at the time so my memory of it is sketchy.

I know our big extended family treated Dad as usual. He had spent 3 months in jail after being sued by a patient's husband for manslaughter. Totally not guilty but the man was a local celebrity, and it got a lot of press, so he was df'd.

The other gal was shunned. I think her family treated her fine though. They were friends of ours and we went to their house occasionally and none of us could talk to her if she was around.

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

I tried to find some information for you on my 2001 watchtower cd rom but I can't seem to find when this arrangement came into place. I did find a reference in the Proclaimers book.

jv chap. 8 p. 103 Declaring the Good News Without Letup (1942-1975) ***

Jehovah’s Witnesses were not unaffected by the sexual revolution of the 1960’s. In fact, several thousand—a small percentage of their total number—had to be disfellowshipped each year, the majority for sexual immorality. With good reason, then, Jehovah’s people were given direct counsel at a series of district conventions held in 1964. Lyle Reusch, a traveling overseer originally from Saskatchewan, Canada, recalls the talk "Keeping the Organization of Public Servants Pure, Chaste." Said Reusch: "Frank, straight language on morals spelled things out in plain talk."

There are a lot of watchtower and awake articles referencing disfellowshipping. From what I have experienced and the 30 years I was in, I have not noticed much of a change in their view. But there are others here who might have a better idea. My father has told me that in the early 70's it wasn't a disfellowshipping offence to practice homosexuality and later that changed.

I haven't read it yet but the Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz is supposed to have some info on when it came about and why.

Anyway, I am not much help but thought I would put in what I could find and remember.

Blondie will probably have lots of info for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit