Hi! Any other Latter Day Saints here?

by ElderBarry 35 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    Yes, Megadude I have read "Under the Banner Of Heaven." I've also read Gerald and Sandra Tanners anti-Mormon books.

I didn't consider it as an anti-Mormon book but rather a statement of history and its effect on Mormonism and its splinter groups. To each their own, though. Still, rarely have I found the history of a church so riveting and exciting to read. I had no idea how relentlessly the Mormons were persecuted here in the United States in the early inception of their faith.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

"When I was a Jehovah's Witness, I NEVER felt that the Governing Body cared anything about me as a person, or even the local elders. I was simply a loudspeaker for their doctrines and a money machine. My fellow Witnesses were suspicious, paranoid, snoopy, and out to find some reason to make trouble for each other. Yuck. Plus I hated the world and life when I was a JW. I couldn't wait for the system of things to end, for the great trib and battle of armageddon." ElderBarry

That is exactly the difference that I noticed. There was always some expectant hush when there was an announcement from the front that there was going to be a discipline such as reproof, DA or DF. It was a morbid fascination, followed by unseemly gossip. There was tattling and troublemaking all over. It is a very sad culture. That was not the case with the LDS church, and some of their doctrine I think seems much more Christlike than much of what I see in other churches-even if I don't think it revealed in the Bible. I am probably at a point where I could be more comfortable attending without believing every last bit of it than when I was a young girl and felt guilty about it.

THe gleeful expectation of armageddon at every news flash creeps me out. As an adult, 20 years out of the org. I still get anxious at every breaking story. When I was a kid Malawi was going on and I lived in fearful expectation of being sent to a concentration camp or something. Mormonism is a much kinder culture to raise kids in!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Lisa, and welcome to the board.

I am an ex jw who has not found the need to join another religion. To tell you the truth, I don't believe there is a true religion out there. I am an agnostic nowadays, with leanings more towards atheism than belief in a higher power. I am very comfortable with my current belief, or rather lack of it, and doubt I'll ever change.

I am, however, very happy that you have found a faith that you can feel comfortable with after being a jw and finding out the truth about the lie.

• ringo5
    ringo5

Q-

Hi Praise - I did reply honest! Have a look in your inbox. The idea that we can become like our Father (and Mother) in heaven if we so choose (and if we don't we can still have an incredible fulfilling existence that will make us happy) is a beautiful concept. It makes the scriptures take on a whole new aim - rather than just a guide to happy living it becomes a training guide for Eternity.

That includes ruling over your own planets too, right?

Sounds like the biggest pyramid scheme ever!

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Elderbarry, welcome to the forum,

This question is to you and Qcmbr, as the Mormon doctrine goes....when do you finally know when your saved?

EW

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

EB

Welcome to the board!

From your bio

There is no Church that does this as well, at least a Christian Church, as does the LDS Church.

Just one problem, Why would you call Mormonism Christian? It's not even close!

D Dog

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hi, Lisa,

I am LDS, now and forever. Best decision I ever made.

I was raised Protestant, but have JW family members whom I dearly love, including one sister. She and I have had many, many discussions regarding our life paths. She feels sadness for my choice (LDS) but does grudgingly praise the LDS Church for such things as our youth programs, Sunday School (she loved Sunday School when we were Protestant children), our Family Home Evening program, early-morning Seminary for the 9th through 12th graders, our strong stand on moral issues, and a dozen other things.

She knows her children might have turned out better if they had had some of those things in their lives, and will wistfully admit it, but will then add a statement like, "But they didn't have those things in Jesus' day so we don't need them now either." Over the years she has gradually lessened the number of times she bothers to defend the JW lifestyle after positively commenting on the LDS ways.

I am saddened by her choice to become, and to remain, a JW. Truthfully, I cannot find much of anything to praise, grudgingly or otherwise, about them. I don't feel it has been a blessing or of benefit to her or to her family. She does admit that herself, but continues to make excuses for her religion, turns a blind eye to their failings, and is simply holding on by her fingernails, hoping The End Of This System will come tomorrow, if not tonight.

I love how you expressed your sentiments regarding the LDS Church, and especially the Temple. Hubby and I have been Temple workers for more than a decade and absolutely love it. Being there is just the greatest.

Welcome to this site, Lisa! There are many good people here.

Qmbr (Did I get your name right?) -- Thank you for responding to that ridiculous list of supposed Mormon bad examples. It had to be the single most blatantly false list I've read on this site yet -- and there have been some doozies! Mostly I just laugh at them. Few are worth bothering to reply to.

DoubleEdge -- Nice to see you again! As always, your comments are balanced and enjoyable!

Susan

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I am not an LDS - for that matter, not in any way religious, either.

I do, however, have friends that are LDS.

One thing that does impress me about the "Mormons" / Church of the Latter Day Saints is how family friendly they are - certainly in comparison to the WTS.

I resent the WTS for many reasons - but if I had to single out one thing more than the others, it would be how their whole theology / way of life prevented me from having a stabe life with my family.

Bad experiences during my 28 years with the JWs have soured me towards religion in any of its forms - and for all time. But I would never want to deny that right to anyone else. As far as I am concerned, too many people died in two world wars guaranteeing such things as freedom of worship for me to want to interfere!

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Qcmbr

Well I'm sorry to see you chose the course you did in responding to questions that I asked Lisa, you should read my post again and if you can get past your ignorance you might see that I was pointing back to a time past.

This all happened before you were born and your attitude has been similar to my genuine questions (NOT LOADED LANGUAGE) that missionaries have shown to me recently - that of ignorance (look it up ,it means LACK OF KNOWLEGE).

These events and beliefs were from a long time ago and they had a problem too coming to grips with these facts. When I asked them to return after checking out some of the old beliefs they never came back.

So that is why I asked Lisa...you, Qcmbr really show your immaturity in YOUR language and lack of understanding anothers viewpoint ,as all these things actually did happen and I was a witness to all. When the Elders came to my mother at the hall to collect the tythe OWING they had a large accounts book with the congregations tythe records and gave her forcefully a manilla envelope to put money in explaining she would have to find it from her house keeping money my father gave her ...I was there with her and also was with her when she approached my father for the money when we got home! He was not happy and told her no and to keep the missionaries away from his home.

If you don't believe me so be it , you would just prove again what religious cultism can do to peoples minds just like the JW's.,what do they call it ...Cognitive Dissonance sounds pretty close I guess.

You have'nt done LDS any favours by responding to my genuine questions in the way you did ....but I will concede that I've seen a lot worse in the JW"S. You see I have many fond memories of my LDS time such as the sport ,the MIA etc .

Lisa

I can only assume you follow Qcmbr 's course in answering the questions .It's funny how some people will defend at all costs some things that actually DID happen before they were born and never question whether their organization was actually saying and doing these things. All I can say is I'm glad I was'nt an African American Mormon in the 50's and 60's

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Oh and Susanhere your pathetic little put down would show your heart too I think. I was very dedicated to the LDS although only young, I was baptised at 8 and the church felt I was at an age of understanding did'nt they ? So all events were very clear to me as I was so wrapped up in LDS ,giving Sacraments, talks etc and only left when forced to by my father .

Steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit