computer experience

by Cabin in the woods 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

I did not know if I should start this with a simple statement or request who would be willing to be a guidance counselor!

Either tomorrow or Monday I am going to be contacting a couple of the local small colleges and see if I could talk to someone about a career with web design. The other thought would be mediation. I like the web design idea as I can go anywhere as long as I have web access. Even high on a snowy mountain!

Am I missing any potential opportunities with computers that exist? I need all the help that I can get with this! I think that I am going to go into this seperation with a very positive attitude.

Oh yes, I am also going to go back to my portrait art on the side.

Thank you

cab

• damselfly
    damselfly

<< I think that I am going to go into this seperation with a very positive attitude.>>

I agree, I think you're doing very well.

Good for you to be looking into eduacation, I'm horrible with computers myself. :-)
    And the art! That's truly awesome! You'll have to post some when you get them done.

Dams

• under_believer
    under_believer

Cabin, do you have any specific questions? I'm a working computer professional, I can likely answer any questions you might have.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    Oh yes, I am also going to go back to my portrait art on the side.

I want to see some!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Another possible resource for you might be DISTANCE LEARNING via the Internet from an ACCREDITED school.

There are bunches of these now: if you GOOGLE distance learning accredited you'll have more than 12 million hits to wade through, so you'll want to get more specific than that.

One of the drawbacks of distance learning is that it is just you sitting at your computer without much inter-personal interaction - your classmates are virtual! People generally enjoy some human contact. On the other hand, if you are a real self-starter and very highly motivated, you may be able to finish your classes much faster than usual.

Good luck, and GO FOR IT!

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Web Design is part of my job, so let me give you some tips.
    About 75-80% of web design student just plain stink. Sorry, I look at resumes all the time and it's a pretty sorry state of things.
    It is a highly competitve field, the best float to the top and everybody else sinks. The hardest part is that there are so many sub fields to the indusry that beign instructed in 'web design' is like saying 'i'm going to be a doctor', that's a start but the more imporant question is WHAT KIND.
    There are web programemrs and web designers, then there are those that develop content for the web, but don't really do web design. Within the programmers there are so many differant ways to go. Microsoft certifications or Linux based? Want to be an expert at PHP, MYSQL, or COLDFUSION? That's all back end web design stuff, and each has it's own set of experts. But that's just programming the web pages, there is an entirely differant industry of designers too. This includings working with photoshop, illustrator, and a wide variety of other design apps that you can use to build out prototypes and junk for sites that will be sent off to programmers to put togeather. Let me tell you that there are more 'wannabes' in the latter catagory then there are in the former.
    My biggest suggestion to you if you decide to go into the design field is this: put your heart into what you do, and make it your hobby. People that run their own websites, are allways teaching themselves new things, and basically allways getting their creative powers moving do better than those that do a few projects given to them at school, stick it in their portfolio and hope for a job. Get focused, start looking at industry publications, and get busy right now teaching yourself whatever you can.
    A cool website for self training is vtc.com, you can really build your skills up by practicing some of the videos you buy access to there.
    Good Luck, I hope that helps you out!

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

Wow, already I am amazed at what I have read. I wanted to do the photoshop/ illustrator type of work. Also, I am in the market for something that I can do at home and can export out the finished product.

Please, prepare for pms!

cab

• rekless
    rekless

good luck

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    I like the web design idea as I can go anywhere as long as I have web access. Even high on a snowy mountain!

Make sure you take a long underwear and a waterproof keyboard ... and one of them new wind-up laptops might be a good idea too

Drew and Nathan have given some great advice here cab. It's wonderful that us mature types get a second chance at education.

best of luck, unc

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

You may want to not limit yourself on just selecting a field - before you look into it.

You may want to talk with a college counselor and see if they have any suggestions/ideas. Locally, there is a 2-year college that has many many different directions that one can go to get a degree.

If you are good at Photoshop - perhaps you could get into advertising art - and produce advertising layouts for the local media.

There are many opportunities that one has using the computer these days, and being able to work from home.

I know that doing what I do - Electrical CAD (I.E. Schematic Capture & Printed Circuit Board Layouts), I have been able to do work remotely (in my home) while the client is far away. (Files would be sent via the internet)

My fiance is working at the same company as I am - and she is doing electronic technical work - having no formal training - but she picks up on it very easily. She was discouraged when younger by her previous mates from pursuing anything like this. I am encouraging her - she has a knack for it.

So - that being said - go for whatever you want... you can do it.

Regards - and Good Luck,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit