The Nigerian Check Scam

by target 4 Replies latest jw friends

• target
    target

Where I live, garage sales are not allowed, but there is a web site locally where garage sales online are posted. It is great. I sold a lot of stuff last week in preparation for our move to Colorado. I just sit back and read the e-mails and send them info and they come buy the stuff. We had a big screen TV to sell, and it did sell right away, but then I get this e-mail:

Hellow Seller,

I got your advert on your for sale (Big Screen TV) and I am ready to buy it from you at that amount (price need). I will want you to get back to me withy present condition and I will like you to know that my mode of payment will be certified cheque and so that I can arrange for the payment in time. Hope to read from you soonest.

Regards

[email protected]

Immediately I remembered that when we were still in Phoenix, it was in the newspaper that a couple had a car to sell and a guy online told them he would buy it for full price with a certified check. It turned out to be a phoney check from a Nigerian and the couple were out their money.

They do that on ebay as well. Certified checks mean nothing these days. Cash, only cash!

Target

• james_woods
    james_woods

You live in "Phonix,"???

Was that a Freudian slip???

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

This is a very common scam, most websites that have a place to sell stuff warn about it. If something seems to good to be true it often is.

CS 101

• LDH
    LDH
    Certified checks mean nothing these days

I imagine if someone did present with a certified check you could always call the branch where it was drawn and verify authenticity. If the buyer's hackles get raised over this, give the check back and don't complete the transaction.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I know a little about this sort of stuff.

Most transactions at every level are based on trust. They have to be, otherwise the world couldn't function. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who play on this, abuse the trust and innocent people suffer. (Someone once said to me 'you can your family and freinds first, 'cos they're easier'.)

And if banks, corporations and 'professionals' get conned out of billions (which they do) what hope is there for the rest of us?

All you can do is exercise reasonable caution, and what's reasonable depends on the amount involved. It's a balance between taking nothing at face value and not becoming phobic about the danger of being ripped off (but then, isn't that true of life as a whole?).

BTW, if anyone ever approaches you about a wonderful investment opportunity based on 'prime bank monetary instruments' turn away. You have one of those already - in normal language they're called banknotes (or dollar bills for our US friends).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit