Any Tricks or Tips for getting around on crutches??

by AudeSapere 26 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

bythesea - I missed it the first time around because there was so much other info. I just caught it and then your 'reminder' - so you get credit for three LOL and I'm a little buzzed on pain meds, too! The ER gave me some limited instructions but I was vomitting as I was leaving and just wanted to get home. The 'night nurse' was creeping me out so my brother just asked for a wheelchair to get me to the door. These crutches are the standard adjustable aluminum kind. I'll have to think about the walker thing. Not seeming like it would work as well as the crutches, oh! I could have that little basket in front to carry things. Maybe a little backpack would work... As far as boyfriend - we broke up in November and with the move and sick (now deceased) cat, I haven't been out much. However --- My new worldly neighbor (cute fireman ) has been wonderful. He's brought me a few meals and helped with few things around the house. I'm not nervy enough to ask for help washing my hair or getting dressed though. My dad's not much help and seems to make more work for me. I'm relying on him for transportation only right now.

Thanks again for the kindness. And the extra 'Poor Baby'

Odrade - The underarms are just now starting to get sore. I was trying to just use the arms and not rest down so much. Neck and shoulders are getting sore, too. Time to schedule a massage...!!

Chris - Crutches AND pregnancy?? Poor Nina!!! Oh my . That must have been quite a pregnancy for both of you!

Hubert - These crutches are pretty sturdy and I hope it doesn't get to the throwing stage because it will be a pretty painful slither to gather them up! The empty parking lot sounds like a good plan to practice. I think I will do that later this week.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I broke my leg when I was 16, in three places. I wasn't allowed to put weight on it for three months. I used to scoot on my backside up and down stairs at times. I'd throw my crutches up or down ahead of me. I even did that at highschool. You will get used to the crutches, the more you use them the better. You will get into great shape, excepting your lower, injured leg. Can you bend your knee or put weight on it? If so, below is an idea if you can rent one it will be cheaper:

I didn't have one of these but have seen customers using these:

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

FHN - 3months?? as a teenager?? your poor parents..!! nothing showed in your picture... I cannot put any weight on the knee at all. It gives out and sort of collapses. I guess it's me that collapses. But either way, it cannot support me unless I lock it in place and just stand still. Is the pic supposed to be a little rolling stool or something? You paste didn't take. -Aude.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Does you computer chair have wheels? You can use that for scooting around the house, ya know! Esp. if you have wood or linoleum type flooring.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I can suggest that you wash your hair less often. In between you can use no water shampoo. You can also use an astringent diluted with water to clean your scalp and the first inches of hair, closest to your scalp. That will clean the oil and dirt away in between shampoos. You can use one like Sea Breeze, if they still make it. It has peppermint in it and will soothe any itchiness.

For bathing, I placed a towel over the edge of the tub, folded and soft and hung my lower left leg out of the tub. You can tuck saran wrap into the top of your cast, so that the top of your cast will be protected.

My mother drove me to school, but I had to walk home. It was 7/10's of a mile home. The first day, I stopped every ten feet and cried. I would stop in the fountain drug store and have a soda or float and then trek on. Eventually, I grew so strong that I could out run walking people, on my crutches! I was muscular all over, but for the left leg. I got to where I could throw one crutch down the stairs and get down the stairs with one crutch and one leg, though at school I often still did the scoot thing because people would run past me and knock me down at times. I suggest moving your operation downstairs if you can. If not, try to have duplicates of items up and down stairs so that you don't have to lug them up and down stairs.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My mother only had it bad until the pain got milder. She didn't insist that they give me strong pain meds, so I screamed, even in my sleep, for several days. Once they put on the plaster cast, which heated as it dried, the pain was less intense. They didn't put the cast one for a week, due to swelling. I took care of me and mom really did very little except take me to the doctor. I found this site that might have some helpful hints: http://www.mybrokenleg.com/tips.html

Our Price: $599.00
    Retail Price: $629.00
    Shipping Cost:
    Availability:
    Roll-A-Bout
  • AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

FHN - Great Link! I will read it more carefully in the morning. There have been some really good suggestions here on this thread and I think that link includes many of them - along with several more. Thanks so very, very much everyone!!! You guys are great. I love and appreciate all of you! -Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit