Prozac park???

by seek2find 8 Replies latest watchtower medical

• seek2find
    seek2find

I once heard there was a congregation in the Northen US with this nickname because so many in the congregation were on anti-depressants. Any body know about it???

• under_believer
    under_believer

Never heard of that specific congregation, but I can testify that every congregation I've ever attended was chock-full of antidepressant users. I could name ten people in each of the five congregations I've gone to that was an avowed SSRI "lifer."

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There are a lot. I think one reason is that JWs are told to avoid worldly counselling so have to resort to medication instead of learning to overcome their problems.

Before I was disfellowshipped I was spinning out a bit and told my CO mum that I was planning to go to a counsellor. She was very against the idea and suggested I go on Prosac instead, as she has to many other people. I went on Prosac despite my doctor saying he felt I should seek counselling instead of chemicals. My mother was very disappointed when Prosac did not bring me back to the organization. I think she felt I had lost faith due to emotional problems, rather than that my emotional problems were due to my faith. It actually was counter productive from her point of view, as by calming my emotions I had the strength to leave, and not just quietly but making as much disturbance as I could.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I think that would fit several.

• Severus
    Severus

Prozac park...is that like "spiritual paradise"?

• Lapuce
    Lapuce
    Prozac park...is that like "spiritual paradise"?

Loll.... Well I got on them because of the dubs, has been 5 years and can't get off them after even 2 attemped suicides

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I was in two congregations that were just like that. It was mostly the sisters who had depression but some men too. I took a count in one hall and out of the 45 sisters, 25 of them I knew were on medications for depression or anxiety. I could not believe it at the time. I told my hubby something is so wrong here. The society constantly makes claims we are the "happiest people on earth" but why are there so many on depression meds then?

Of the worldy people I knew and worked with, almost none were on these types of meds.

By the way, my hubby responded to me by saying "of course the Witnesses will be depressed more, we are Satan's main target". I am sure you will get the same response, they will never blame Big Momma for causing them all the stress they are under by their impossible requirements.

• luna2
    luna2

Prozac (and other anti-depressants) are prescribed the way Valium used to be in the 60's...I know tons of people both in and out of the borg who are on them. I'm sure these things are beneficial for a good number of folks, but I have my doubts that so many require them.

The thing that makes it so ironic that so many dubs are taking them is that they are supposed to be the "happiest people on earth", reside in a "spiritual paradise", and have a "marvelous hope for the future", among other things. Guess they still need a little chemical help to find that joy from Jehober.

• seek2find
    seek2find

Wow! It sounds more widespread than I imagined? Is it a Spiritual paradise or a spiritual Prison? Sady for some, I think it's also a Spiritual Graveyard. seek2find

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit