Do it for yourself - further education

by Celtic 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

Many of us have suffered at some time from ontological insecurity, who am I, where am I going? What do I want to do with my life? Etc

Often, it can take a while to start seeing your personal dreams pay off, but when you do, it really is the best feeling ever.

I have not a qualification at present to my name but I've fought and fought to get to where I am now, going to college for the first time in my life at the grand age of 34 to study 3 of the subjects that are extremely close to my heart.

Garden Design, Environmental Conservation and Farm Diversification and Sustainability.

My first two days this past week, well, it just felt great to be plugging into life with what I always wanted to do, and I'd encourage anyone else to do the same.

Learn new skills, meet new people, question things, inquire with an inquisitive mind, challenge yourselves, motivate others, try new sporting activities, hell, go skydiving, that much oxogen blowing up the nostrils must be one hell of a rush.

Still, be kind to yourselves, know your limits and don't beat yourself up too much like i've done to myself and learnt the hard way, that this does one no positive favours.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, go out there and enjoy your life, you have this given right and the only thing that is stopping any of you is you.

Give life stink!! Enjoy....

Celtic

• COMF
    COMF

That's good advice, Celtic. You have three years on me; I was 37 when I started college. It changed my life. One of the most valuable things I learned from going to college was that it was possible for me to do it.

I used to get anxious about 3/4 of the way through the semester, when I would have a 10-page essay due in one class, a major exam in another, a speech assignment in a third and lab work due in a fourth. I was working 40 hours per week (evening shift), and sometimes I stayed up all night after getting off work, only finishing an assignment in time to turn it in that day. And I would splash cold water on my face and look at myself in the mirror and ask, "Why am I doing this to myself?"

And at the end of every semester, when I pulled down another straight A report card, I felt exhiliarated, empowered, confident, and even a little bit amazed, that I had accomplished it!

I remember standing on the back porch one morning, sipping coffee and basking in the glow of another accomplished semester, and suddenly speaking out loud to myself, "I am strong. I am determined. I am tenacious. I am powerful. I can do anything."

This wasn't some planned and memorized affirmation I was reciting in the hope of making it become so. It was a spontaneous acknowledgement of what was already true.

I agree with Celtic, friends: go to college! You don't even have to be pursuing a degree. My classes--even the ones I felt were unnecessary to my primary goal--were informative, interesting, entertaining, challenging, exciting and fun. They were a wonderful way to invest my time.

COMF

• Kat_
    Kat_

Thanks so much for posting, Celtic, and for the reply COMF.

You have no idea how nice it was to read that. I am planning on going back to school this coming year and at times I am excited, at times I am absolutely terrified and feel that I will fail. I am only 26, but I have two young children and will have to work and go to school at the same time. It seems quite frightening seeing as how I've been a homemaker for the past 5 years. I don't even know what 'life out there' is like anymore! This is all very scary to me and at times I just want to stay in my little caccoon avoid the hassle. But I know that deep down, I'll never be truly happy unless I do this for myself, if nothing else. This posting brought my chin up a tad, thank you!

Kat

• COMF
    COMF

Kat, (assuming you're in the USA) there is all kinds of money available for older students and for students who are parents. Because I was a single parent of two, working fulltime and up in years, I received a Pell Grant each semester which covered all my tuition and all my books and usually left enough after that to pay a month's rent.

Check with the financial aid department of your school. The people in there get paid to help you find money; that's what they do. They can steer you to scholarships tailored for your situation, and help you with manageable student loans.

Let us know how it goes for you. I love reading success stories!

COMF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit