Memorial can be fun

by atypical 8 Replies latest jw friends

• atypical
    atypical

Well after much agonizing I decided to go to memorial with my wife. But, we went to a hall on the other side of town where we didn't know anybody. I had my goatee going full force. I also brought my buddy who has been inactive for over 10 years. He also had a goatee (he grew it for the occasion)and wore jeans and a casual shirt.

We walked in early and sat in the back row in the back room. We had a barrage of people, mostly middle aged sisters, come up and question us: "So, you guys are......(long pause waiting for us to fill in the blanks).......visiting?"

My wife would say, "Yes." and just smile. Then, "Visiting from................?"

My friend would say "Phoenix." (That's where we live; it's also where we were at for memorial, so it sounded extremely sarcastic. I wanted to answer, "visiting from EARTH", but my wife wanted me to to keep it at least slightly toned down.)

This resulted in many long, uncomfortable silences which we refused to break. It was fun.

The best part was afterwards when we went to Applebees - We were surrounded by tables of witnesses. My friend and I ordered a shot and a beer. We raised the shots high and clinked them loudly in a toast before downing them. If stares were dollars, I would be rich today. The funniest part to me was that when we walked past witnesses in Applebees, they would smile at my wife but then refused to smile at me or my friend, even though we made a point to smile and wave at them.

Good times.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

How...atypical?

Good job.

• juni
    juni

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juni

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Nice!lol

I wish I had the gut to do something similar! Hmm, yeah, walking in the hall where everyone knows me, dressed very casualy (jeans would be fun).hehe Of course, if I actually did that, I would make it worth the trouble and sit right in the middle, with a grin on my face. And walk away just before it ends, laughing quietly and shaking my head as I head for the door. That would express what many new people are probably feeling when they assist to that meeting.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

This resulted in many long, uncomfortable silences which we refused to break.

Be still; and toast loudly. Isn't that a scripture? If not, it should be.

j

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica
    I had my goatee going full force. I also brought my buddy who has been inactive for over 10 years. He also had a goatee (he grew it for the occasion)

Are you not allowed to have facial hair or something? Sorry, this is new to me...

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

LaCatolica, I read your earlier post about finding out about the rules of JWdom. Well there are also a lot, a whole lot, of unwritten rules too. Facial hair is one of them (at least in the states). Oh, you can have a mustache (better not be handlebar) but no beard (goatee, soul patch, etc.). You also should not have long hair, not even shaggy. You can have sideburns (although frowned upon) but they better not go below your ear lobe. If you ask an elder about these rules he will tell you they are not "rules", just guidelines. My definition of a rule is a guideline that if not followed has consequences enforced by others. So are there consequences for not following the elders/societies guidelines. You bet your fairy feathered ass there is. You won't have "privileges" in the cong. (no running mics/sound, handing out pubs at the magazine counter, collecting the "donations", counting attendance, parking lot security walks, stage duties. You also will never be appointed a ministerial servant or elder. You will generally be looked down upon as "spiritually weak" or as "bad association". You won't be invited to dinner by the up and coming ministerial servant or elder. You will be constantly told you look "worldly" and made to feel you are bringing reproach upon Jehovah's name and his organization. Kinda reminds me of the pharisees and their extra rules they placed on the israelites.

• atypical
    atypical

Lost Light is right. I can see how it would sound weird to someone who has not been on the inside, but having a goatee in the kingdom hall is like showing up at a black panther party wearing a white sheet. It has such a huge stigma that it's hard to explain. I personally have a goatee, sideburns that go way below my earlobes, and my hair is at least twice as long as anyone at the hall, so believe me the witnesses see me as "bad association".

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

Well if you HAD to go... at least you were able to make it fun!

I bet the witnesses enjoyed it too. It always livened things up when someone "normal" would come for us to stare at! HA!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit