question about reprints of studies in the scriptures

by The Lone Ranger 9 Replies latest jw friends

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

I am sure that the Watchtower did reprints of CT Russels books of "Studies in the scriptures' in the early 80's, can anyone confirm this ??

What year exactly were they reprinted? Atfer reading the COC book I am convinced that they reprinted them only to prove Ray Franze wrong, but thats another story.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Nope, the WT never did that. You may be thinking of the reprints that the Bible Students have published.

http://www.biblestudents.net/resources/books.htm

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I agree with nicolaou - the various sub-groups of Bible Students function independently, and I believe there are more than one "flavor" of the SS available.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

All seven series of the Studies in the Scriptures can be downloaded in PDF format here:

http://www.davidgladden.com/jw/watchtower_publications.htm

Keep in mind that these books were all "tweaked" by the WTS after the year 1914, so they do not have many of the original predictions about 1914.

** Thy Kingdom Come (Studies in the Scriptures Vol.3) (1908) p.228 ***

That the deliverance of the saints must take place some timebefore 1914 is manifest, since the deliverance of fleshly Israel,as we shall see, is appointed to take place at that time, and the angrynations will then be authoritatively commanded to be still,and will be made to recognize the power of Jehovah’s Anointed.Just how long before 1914 the last living members of the body of Christ willbe glorified, we are not directly informed; but it certainly willnot be until their work in the flesh is done; nor can wereasonably presume that they will long remain after that work is accomplished.With these two thought in mind, we can approximate the time of the deliverance.

[Emphasis Added]

** Thy Kingdom Come (Studies in the Scriptures Vol.3) (1937) p.228 ***

That the deliverance of the saints will take place some timeafter 1914 is manifest, since the deliverance of fleshly Israel,as we shall see, is appointed to take place thereafter, and the angrynations will then be authoritatively commanded to be still,and will be made to recognize the power of Jehovah’s Anointed.Just how long after 1914 the last living members of the body of Christ willbe glorified, we are not directly informed; but it certainly willnot be until their work in the flesh is done; nor can wereasonably presume that they will long remain after that work is accomplished.With these two thought in mind, we can approximate the time of the deliverance.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I happened to come across a set of the reprints. Inside the cover where some stickers that had the website bibletoday.com in them. The Bible Students are the only ones that keep the books coming, they have been given up by the WTS a long time ago.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Although the books were altered post-1914, the changes to volumes Two and Three are documented in the 15. March 1915 issue (english) of the Watch Tower.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS did use the Studies in the Scriptures up till the Harp of God came out in 1921. Any copies of the Studies in the Scriptures were cleared out of their stock much like the do out of date publications today. I have heard that some were burned or trashed but I have not found any confirmation on that in the WT publications.

*** w55 12/15 p. 755 Blessed Results from Making the Test ***

The old Bible textbooks, the seven volumes of Studies in the Scriptures (1886-1917), were replaced, for, beginning with The Harp of God of 1921, a new series of Bible study textbooks was published culminating in the book You May Survive Armageddon into God’s New World in 1955.

*** w54 6/1 p. 344 1926 Ushers In a Time of Great Happiness ***

Prior to 1926 Jehovah’s people had very little in the way of equipment to work with. The seven volumes of Studies in the Scriptures had served their purpose and were going out of stock.

*** w93 11/1 p. 12 Daniel’s Prophetic Days and Our Faith ***

At the same convention, the hard-hitting book Deliverance was released, becoming the first of a series to replace Studies in the Scriptures.

*** Daniel Prophecy book chap. 17 p. 304 Identifying True Worshipers in the Time of the End ***

At the convention in May 1926, the book Deliverance was released. (See page 302.) This was one of a series of new books designed to replace Studies in the Scriptures. No longer were the holy ones

*** w67 1/15 p. 54 The Modern Fulfillment of the "Penny" ***

But in 1927 The Finished Mystery and the other six volumes of the Studies in the Scriptures ceased to be published, and they were replaced by new, postwar Bible-study aids.

*** Kingdom of a thousand years book (1973) chap. 17 p. 347 The "Slave" Who Lived to See the "Sign" ***

Later in the year 1927 any remaining stocks of the six volumes of Studies in the Scriptures by Russell and of The Finished Mystery were disposed of among the public.

Now, why the Watchtower would sell these books, which they felt
    contained false teachings and tended to "cause a sect centered
    around a man" to the public at all, is a seperate question which
    will not be addressed here. The issue is, are the statements in
    the 1973 book honest, about 'disposing' of all remaining stocks of
    these false books in 1927? Apparently not. In 1929, that same set
    of books was being pushed in the door-to-door work; the week of
    November 10th was designated a "special drive week" for them.
    In 1932, the bulk of the books spread by the Witnesses was again
    that same set. In 1944, they *still* were to be found on the list
    of books offered. And in a 1967 "Kingdom Ministry" (a monthly
    magazine handed out to Witnesses, with internal notices, etc.)
    they were listed as "out of stock" in the USA.

http://www.skepticfiles.org/origins/jw-gener.htm

In the "Watchtower Cost List" of February 1, 1962, on page 12, under "Other Items" there is listed, the set of Studies in the Scriptures. 35 years after 1927, as late as 1976 in the Society's "Kingdom Ministry" there is an announcement that "The Battle of Armageddon" Volume 4 of Studies in the Scriptures, was now out of stock. So, were the researchers of the "God's Kingdom" book, careless or were they trying to hide the truth? No one can know for sure, but there have been other discrepancies in the Society's history.

http://www.biblestudents.net/food4jws/wt_history/sits.htm

• RR
    RR

Actually the last edition of the Studies in the Scriptures published by the WTS was in 1927, however they continued to distribute the series as late as the 1930s, I have advertisements as last as 1937, when they were called Jehovah's Witnesses.

In fact as late as 1967, they still has the series listed in their costlist.

Today, the volumes are published by various groups;

1. Dawn Bible Students Association
    2. Laymen's Home Missionary Movement
    3. Bible Students Congregation of New Brunswick, NJ
    4. Fort Worth Bible Students

The Dawn's edition are not faithful; to Russell's last edition. The Laymen's have also edited their editions and have special footnotes.

The only editions that are faithful to Russell's LASt edition are the latter two. New Brunswick and Forth Worth. Fort Worth's edition is actually one large edition with all seven books in one binding.

RR

RR

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

RR, is there no one who keeps the first editions in print?

(yeah, I know; dumb question.)

or perhaps THAT is the role of apostates and historians.

• RR
    RR

I have a set of first edition.

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit