Is the world out to get you?

by free2beme 7 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I have spoken to people more often then I could ever count, who seem to think it is. They claim that things are always going wrong for them or that odds never seem to be in their favor. Yet to me, when looking closer, I think there are bigger issues of responsibility and paying attention to what is happening that is involved. I remember a few times in my life, where it seemed that things were going wrong a lot. Then when I looked closer, I realized I was just causing my own problems and not actually doing anything to change. Not that change is easy, but it often benefits us when we do it. I just see so many people who are playing the victim in life. To many seem to think they are singled out or that the world is really in some way out to get them. Is it? Or does it feel that way to you some times?

• serendipity
    serendipity

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. We can't control everything that happens to us, but we can control our reactions to it.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I felt that way until very recently. If things were going well for me, I used to expect something bad to happen - which it inevitably does eventually, silly me! I just never learned to seperate the two.

I've started to challenge my thinking as soon as I get that 'somethings bound to go wrong' feeling, I know that the good doesn't cause the bad, it's just life. It's pointless to go looking for things to go wrong.

Then again, there's that saying:

Blessed are the pessimists for they shall never be disappointed...

• FairMind
    FairMind

Sometimes when it seems that the world is against us it is simply that we need a good nights sleep. My philosophy has always been "keep on trying and things will get better" and they always have.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I guess I either attribute good things to God having a purpose for me and working things out to my favor or else bad things to just plain old chance and this world happens to be giving me all the bad things at once.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Its just a case of the classic self-fulfiling prochecy syndrome. If you wait for something to happen, and expect it, it will happen, not just because of chance, but because your subconscious will help make it happen. You really limit your opportunities and potential when you live your life like that. There is way too much to do, and life itself is too precious to feel that everyone/thing is out to get you.

• Mary
    Mary

I'm fairly sure somebody put a curse on me and my guardian angel is on permanent vacation. Other than that, no, I don't think the world is out to get me.

• Andy C
    Andy C

The world id what it is. You can be caught up in it or not. I bet for every bad thing that happens a good thing does as well. Have to look for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit