ALL SCRIPTURE 'INSPIRED' BY GOD......

by Mary 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

The above scripture in 1 Timothy (one we're all familiar with) is the scripture used by Witnesses, and I assume other religions, to 'prove' that the bible was "written" by God whereby He communicated all the passages to the men writing. This doesn't make alot of sense to me, because the word "inspire" can have alot of different meanings, as I've copied from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary below.

While I definitely believe in God, I think that #5 is probably closer to the truth. If I write a book or a song and say I was inspired by Elvis, that doesn't mean that Elvis wrote it or even approved it-----it simply means that I wrote it with him in mind.

With regards to the bible, I believe that the men who wrote it, most definitely wrote it with God in mind. So you could say that yes, "all scripture is inspired of God". But that doesn't mean that God wrote it Himself or even put His seal of approval on it..........your thoughts?

Main Entry: in·spire
    Pronunciation: in-'spIr
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): in·spired; in·spir·ing
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French inspirer, from Latin inspirare, from in- + spirare to breathe
    transitive senses
    1 a : to influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural inspiration b : to exert an animating, enlivening, or exalting influence on <was particularly inspired by the Romanticists> c : to spur on : IMPEL, MOTIVATE <threats don't necessarily inspire people to work> d : AFFECT <seeing the old room again inspired him with nostalgia>
    2 a archaic : to breathe or blow into or upon b archaic : to infuse (as life) by breathing
    3 a : to communicate to an agent supernaturally b : to draw forth or bring out <thoughts inspired by a visit to the cathedral>
    4 : INHALE 1
    5 a : BRING ABOUT, OCCASION <the book was inspired by his travels in the Far East> b : INCITE
    6 : to spread (rumor) by indirect means or through the agency of another
    intransitive senses : INHALE
    - in·spir·er noun

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

F*** ME! Mary! You've just made a brilliant point! Thank You - this is one I will definitely bring up if I ever ever ever get lucky enough to speak to my family again.

One day I am going to go through the bible and read it again like an un-brainwashed person who understands the English language and prove to myself verse by verse why the majority of it is not the way JWs presented so that it could support their own twisted logic.

And when I do I promise to share nay of my little gems here.

Thanks again Mary - you havev made me see some light today and for that I am very grateful.

• vomit
    vomit

Picasso inspired me to make a huge toilet snake this morning.

I wonder if it was Picassos design or mine.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Great point Mary!

You inspired me to post!

• gumby
    gumby
    F*** ME! Mary!

No........me first!!!! ( I couldn't resist)

Mary, this point was what got me to thinking about the bible here on JWD. Years ago, a poster ( don't remember who) said that god NEVER gave a command for a N.T. to be written. I'd never thought of that before so I checked out some stuff. Never did I find god to tell man to record his sons life or the time around it. That made me check into the bible canon and who wrote it/compiled it. The rest is history and now you have an apostate Gumby bastard on your hand

Gumby

• Mary
    Mary

Just to clarify: All my postings are inspired of Gumbastard cause he needs me for teaching, for reproving him, and fer setting things straight.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

get yer hands off me gumbapostate!

Actually this whole scripture and my blinkered understanding of it as inculcated from birth is a prime example of how the JWs do not use the scripture for setting things straight. Otherwise I woudl have been able to question this mis interpretation sooner. I understand the word inspire in any other context and yet when I read that scripture I can't see if for waht it really means until Mary points it out to me! I hope my brain gets better the more I leave that dratted cult behind and that one day i can think half as well Mary.

• Mary
    Mary
    Gumbers said: Never did I find god to tell man to record his sons life or the time around it. That made me check into the bible canon and who wrote it/compiled it.

What really got me wondering about the whole God-Approved-Everything-In-The-Bible, was the fact that it was the Catholic Church who decided what writings would make it as part of the bible and which ones wouldn't. Apparently, the book of Revelation came really, really close to NOT being included, because it was considered very 'controversial' at the time (and still is). There were many other writings that never made it as part of the bible. Does that mean they weren't 'inspired'? Why did Jehovah "allow" those rotten Catholics---the Mother of Harlots (according to Dub thinking), to be the decision makers regarding His book to mankind? Would The WTS let the Pope and his Cardinals approve their writings? Fat chance! So why would Jehovah allow His "arch-enemy", False Religion, to speak for Him?

I was stunned when I found this little bit of info out. For obvious reasons, the canonization of the bible isn't discussed in too much detail at the Hall----it might get others thinking too.

Crumpet said: I understand the word inspire in any other context and yet when I read that scripture I can't see if for waht it really means until Mary points it out to me! I hope my brain gets better the more I leave that dratted cult behind and that one day i can think half as well Mary.

Aw, thanks hon! I'm no Einstein, but I always try to think logically. Actually, what got me thinking about this was one day I heard an old song on the radio, "You Light Up My Life" by Debbie Boone. After the song was off, the DJ made the comment that Debbie Boone said it was 'inspired of God'. The light went off in my head suddenly and I thought of the scripture in 1 Timothy and I thought "geeze, this is the exact same thing." She wrote the song with God in mind. It doesn't mean that God wrote the song. Same comparison.

Should I be running the Watchtower or what??!!!

• daystar
    daystar

I sidestep the entire controversy since I don't think a book can refer to itself when claiming authority. You've heard this argument before, I'm sure.

I think I'm going to write a series of books and claim they are holy scripture "just because I say so".

• gumby
    gumby

Why did Jehovah "allow" those rotten Catholics---the Mother of Harlots (according to Dub thinking), to be the decision makers regarding His book to mankind?

*still thinkin of Mary setting things straight dammit*

Mary....another good point you make! I wondered this same thing when I explored my faith in the bible.

Why didn't Jehovah give the job (forming the bible) to his Faithfull and Discreet Slave Class since Jesus entrusted ALL his belongings to THEM?

They claim they have been here since Pentecost.......many years before the bible had begun to be written, yet Jehovah gives the job of writing his word to mankind to a wayward spiritual slutwhore?

Gumby* who plans on making a thread on that subject ( in bold type) so don't still my idea* I got dibbs on it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit