Responsible (ie NIL) Childbearing in the Time of the End

by billyboy 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• billyboy
    billyboy

I'm a bit out of the loop - what is the latest take on this? I know that some fervent JWs have in the past decided not to have children (which I always thought was a bit dumb) on the basis that they could have perfect ones in the new system but from my perspective , JWs (strong & weak) are breeding like rabbits , without any censure or disapproval.

Is it still a mark of spirituality not to have kids & is it still encouraged? And excuse my ignorance (**blushes**)- how do you guarantee not to have children (eg for married Bethelites)? Abstinence? Belt & braces contraception?

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I dont know what the wts take is on that but I remember they they had a talk discouraging having kids in "the time of the end" at the convention the year I was baptized but I never noticed anybody taking heed to that advice since the JWs are having kids as much as mormons are.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes it Responsible (ie NIL) Childbearing in the Time of the End was a talk at the 1988 District Convention . It has quietly ben dropped after the WTS realized since it is getting low to zero growth - most of the ones getting baptized are CHILDREN of current witnesses. If they stop having children the WTS will go into terminal decline - it is where most of the numbers come from - not in door to door work

• greendawn
    greendawn

The end never came and there must be many gutted childless old couples. I can't imagine anyone being naive enough to forego having children after the 1995 generation change which postponed the notorious end of the old system indefinitely.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Childbearing in the Time of the End was a talk at the 1988 District Convention .

It was the 1987 Trust In Jehovah District Convention

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

My apologies littlerock guy - I am a year out and you are correct 1987

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I can't imagine anyone being naive enough to forego having children after the 1995 generation change which postponed the notorious end of the old system indefinitely.

EXACTLY and these days I notice quite a few children being born in the various congregations and it is lovely to see

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

The watchtower 1990 convention ordered the rank & file NOT to have children as the 'great tribulation' is at hand.Remember if you were there,the theme of the 'have no kids double up on birth control' talk was the comparison of Noah's family ark building and having stayed childless, not encumbered by 'little ones' who would get in the way of building today's 'spiritual ark.This talk was reinforced by a primary WT study article that fall on same and encouraging singleness.

The Watchtower said no kids in 1925 and their leader Joe Rutherford admitted to having made an "ass of himself" that time.So,the WT would never make the same mistake again?So this time the end must be close .

Fallout-how many woman close to menopause,longing to fulfill their maternal instincts lost forever the opportunity to have a baby? ----------------- BATTER the BORG with BLOGS all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men/women to do nothing-Danny Haszard Bangor Maine

• beksbks
    beksbks

I only know, that my mother was a young girl at the convention in St Louis in 194? when they had all the kids of that age come down and sit in a special section for that talk. I believe Ray Franz was also there. They told them not to have children, and how irresponsible a thing it would be to do so, because armageddon was just around the corner. My mother is 77 years old. How horrible to imagine being at the end of life, with no family to comfort you because you were doing what the bOrg told you was righteous. Thank goodness my mom was hot blooded!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit