What does the word "Colitas" in the song Hotel California" mean?

by gumby 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• gumby
    gumby

I know of many interpretations of the meaning of that word in that particular song.

Do YOU know what it means? I do

*struts off like a bigshot*

Gumby

• Clam
    Clam

I thought it was the bud on a dope plant?

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    "Warm smell of colitas rising through the air" line — which does refer to the scent of burning marijuana — was seen as a sign the song was about drug addiction. Others have interpreted 'Hotel California' as a code name for cocaine and thus saw both the album and the song itself as a description of a journey into addiction."

http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/hotel.htm

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

What I'd like to know, is what does it mean to "speak of the pompitous of love"?

Anyone?

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Gumbongee,

Remember in Dallas...? We ate at that Tex-Mex restaurant and later you noticed, "That warm smell of colitis rising up through the air..." ? It's a normal natural bodily function...you're so silly sometimes.

Really, your mind is getting a little smokey cloudy in your old age.

Wow...look at my fingers look how they move... Do they always look taht way...? thar funi lookin heheh.....haw-haw...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhehehehehahahahahwhwhwhoooo...

rabbongee
  • gumby
    gumby

Silly Rabbit

Well, since literally thousands have made serious inquiries and posted to this thread and waiting in keen anticipation for the revealing of the meaning....I guess I'll tell ya. ( actually some bastard already guessed it and blew my cover)

A quote: " Enough of these distractions. By and by a denizen of soc.culture.spain wrote: "Colitas is little tails, but here the author is referring to 'colas,' the tip of a marijuana branch, where it is more potent and with more sap (said to be the best part of the leaves)." We knew with an instant shock of certainty that this was the correct interpretation. The Eagles, with the prescience given only to true artists, were touting the virtues of high-quality industrial hemp! And to think some people thought this song was about drugs.

OUR SUSPICIONS CONFIRMED

This E-mail just in from Eagles management honcho Irving Azoff: "In response to your [recent] memo, in 1976, during the writing of the song 'Hotel California' by Messrs. Henley and Frey, the word `colitas' was translated for them by their Mexican-American road manager as 'little buds.' You have obviously already done the necessary extrapolation.

Gumby

• Gerard
    Gerard

When smoke goes up in the air it wags like "colitas", Spanish for small tails.

• Kaput
    Kaput
    What I'd like to know, is what does it mean to "speak of the pompitous of love"?

http://www.gangster-of-love.com/pompitous.html

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Yeah, I thought it was a purdy white flower that smely real good. When you brought it up I googled it. The "little bud/tail" thing was explained on some of the web-sites.

And to think -- all the JW's that loved that song got it wrong. We have Truth !

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

KaPut, interesting read thanks for posting that link!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit