Literature Price List at your Hall?

by Free2Bme 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

My mum was telling me today that her congregation has a list of guide prices for the literature so that brothers have an idea what they should be contributing. She has been told it was put up in response to request.
    I am curious to find out if this is general practice or what?

Free

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I have not been in a year. Last year they had no such list, but it would not surprise me, because many were confused as to what should be donated. I am sure they came up with some kind of "loving" arrangement.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

Thanks for the reply JH.
    I find it bizarre that the literature is supplied for no fixed charge (but contributions are accepted) and yet a price list is posted up!!
    As I have commented in another thread videos are £10 which must be a hell of a mark-up.
    It's not like they star Kevin Costner or are directed by Spielburg is it?

Free

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Hi Free!

A price list of guide prices? Oh, yes indeed, right there sellotaped to the literature counter, all nicely printed out and covered in sticky backed plastic...

I remember going up to get a book or brochure and there it was right under your nose, right next to a contribution box. How thoughtful of them to remind us of our financial obligations! I also remember one day going up to collect two bound volumes and a WT CD Rom and the elder behind the desk raised his eyebrows and gestured towards the price list, how grateful I was for the subtle reminder!

From what I can remember the bound volumes cost a hefty six pounds each, seemed an awful lot for something produced in such big quantities, material that had already been produced, all manufactured by free labour.... Would be interesting to know exactly how much the book actually cost to produce.....

• blondie
    blondie

Never seen in my area in the US or those I have visited. Donation box is around the corner too out of sight from the literature/magazine area. No mention made of donations by servants.

Could it be in some congregations the "voluntary" donations are not keeping pace with the magazines and literature obtained? Just an idea.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

We had that 5 years or so ago, when I was magazine servant. I always openly referred to it as "not a price list" to highlight that it was clearly a price list. The irony was lost on most people.

--
    Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit attrocities - Voltaire

• anglise
    anglise

They had one at our hall last time we went (about 18 months ago)and it had been there for quite a long time.
    Somebody has even put it in a picture frame so you couldnt easily miss it.
    What happened to 'you received free, give free'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit