I wish I studied their history

by Woodsman 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

If I had I would have noticed what I do now. For example:

For over 40 years, 1874-1914 and beyond the WTS claimed that there was a time of trouble like the world had never seen before going on. This was to be a terrible time leading up to armageddon in 1914. Bible students used to write to Russell and ask if his calculations were correct because they couldn't imagine the world going on much longer. The system was so bad.

Then 1914 came and no armageddon, no rapture, nothing. Then the change to 1914 was made. Now the years leading up to 1914 where the best of times. Peace and prosperity were everywhere.

The truth is they were neither. They were just times. Like any other 40 years in history. People lived, people died. there were wars, food shortages, earthquakes and there people saying things are good as well as people saying things are bad. Like now.

How can a magazine publisher print entirely different depictions of the same time period and still be taken seriously? When I was a JW I thought they always taught pretty much what they teach now. They do a good job at hiding the past. Now I laugh at the absurdity of this organization.

If they change 1914 I can see it now. The period leading up to 2014 was the best of times. The population exploded due to a lack of wars, pestilence and food shortages. The global population prospered and more people than ever had access to jobs, healthcare and material goods. There are plenty of people they can quote from our time who would say this. They can put them in their magazine. Who knows, maybe they're saving up quotes now just in case.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS had a "history" book printed in 1959, Divine Purpose book. Then it was allowed to go out of print. In 1975, a brief history was printed in the yearbook. Not until 1993, did the WTS print the Proclaimers book due in my opinion to pressure from all the information on the internet. But the Proclaimers book is not on the list of publications to study with new people. It isn't until after they are baptized that they learn the real truth about the "truth."

This url shows how the WTS mislead and deceived JWs about their history.

http://www.freeminds.org/history/proclaimers.htm

http://www.cftf.com/booklets/proclaimers/

Blondie

• Cellist
    Cellist

I just finished reading a book called, "The End of Days" by Erna Paris. She named the book that because all the religions were saying that things were so bad the end must be near. It was a book about the Spanish Inquisition.

Cellist

• stev
  • stev
    stev

The above post is from this website:

http://www.ccel.org/php/disp.php3?a=schaff&b=encyc07&p=374

New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge

I looked for the original publication date, but could not find it. A. E. Williamson wrote the article "Millennial Dawn." I think he was C. T. Russell's secretary at one time. Notice the date 1904 for the New Creation. Also the expectation for the year 1914. Millennial Dawn was the first title of the Studies in the Scriptures. Perhaps this is a revision of an earlier article that appeared in the previous edition of the encyclopedia.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Blondie

It isn't until after they are baptized that they learn the real truth about the "truth."

Like most things the WTS does, they only give you what they want to give you - which is as little as possible to get and maintain control over people

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I remember that right after I got baptised I first encountered much of the information about the Socitys past. It was so confusing to me. It's been a long struggle since then but I feel I have still benefited from the expierance. Taken from the New World Translation James 1:2-3 reads:

2 Consider it all joy, my brothers, when YOU meet with various trials, 3 knowing as YOU do that this tested quality of YOUR faith works out endurance. 4 But let endurance have its work complete, that YOU may be complete and sound in all respects, not lacking in anything.

My expierance has not left me bitter. It has taught me to rely upon God more than men. It has been a real stepping stone in my life. Some may feel differantly about their own personal expierance, but I wouldn't change mine for the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit