"Family Forever" cross-stich ... what do I do with it?

by kwintestal 8 Replies latest social family

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Years ago my parents gave us a framed cross stich with our last name and "Family Forever" on it as the main part of the picture.

Since then, my parents have shunned us completely. I'm thinking of returning it to them in the mail with a letter saying something like, "I guess you didn't mean it when you gave this to us so there's no point in us having this." Is that over the top?

Mrs. Kwin (Heart2Heart) thinks we should keep it.

Any ideas?

Kwin

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Lovely sentiment if it doesn't interfere with your beliefs! I'm not sure if I would return it either. On the one hand, it would be a statement, but one that I'm not sure they wouldn't dismiss by saying, well you could be part of the family again, you chose to leave it. They have a way of turning it around on you and missing the point entirely. On the other hand, by keeping it in your own home with your own family, it becomes even more powerful as you determine never to have conditional love for your family and as a reminder what happens if you let something like the WTS become more important than your family.

Sherry

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I would hang onto it Kwin. It obviously means more to you than to them, why give it to the only people who don't understand it?

I don't have anything that my parents gave me except my hide and my confused spiritual state. I really wanted my gma's lace table cloth to pass on to my daughters as an heirloom. When I left, they gave it to my sister Colleen who put it to everyday use and ruined it.

Keep it. I'd frame it, hang it in a prominent place and then teach your own family what it really means. But that's just me.

Jean

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have an idea that would allow you to compromise by making a statement to your family while keeping the item at the same time.

Scan the cross-stitch and print out a color copy of it. Get one of those picture frames that has multiple openings. Get a nice recent photo of your family and put that one one side. Put the scan on the other side. Wrap it up and send it with a XMas card. (evil grin)

• blondie
    blondie

If it causes pain, just store it away. I still have pics of my family but just not displayed, put away in the closet, separated out from my other pictures.

Love, Blondie

• Jez
    Jez

It is up to you what you do with it. If you DO want to keep it, hang it, take a picture of it and send the picture of it to your family with a letter. Tell them in the letter that you took that phrase seriously and thank them for initiating it. Let them know that you plan to fullfill the intent of that phrase within your own family. Tell them that they are welcome back into your life when they are ready to apologize and reconsider what 'unconditional love' or what 'emulating Jesus' really means. (turn it around onto THEM needing YOUR forgiveness). You could provide scriptures here about the prodigal son, how forgiveness is between you and God, how the scribes and the pharisees rebuked Jesus for eating with sinners, etc. In the meantime, tell them that plague in your house will continually serve as a reminder of what family forever truly means.

Jez

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Quinn

The day before my sister died I hung her picture on my wall. It is the last picture that was ever taken of all 5 of us siblings. The picture was taken at a District convention in Toronto in 1970.

Even though most of us have not seen each other in decades now that she is gone the picture has become a treasure.

We all need a sense of roots - regardless of what has happened. Use it as a toll to teach your children the real meaning of family.

PS You never know if and when the family will "come out" You just never know

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

Kwin, what Lady Lee said. Save it and use it as a tool to remind your children that family is forever and especially unconditional between parents and child, and between siblings. You have a great example of conditional family to use when your kids are older.

• Sargon
    Sargon

I'd hang it on the wall if i were you. but first you should examine it carefully for fine print

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit