by Elsewhere 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=121439309

COURT MOVES TO SAVE BABYJehovah's Witnesses protest life-saving transfusion

Darren Bahaw [email protected]
    Friday
    , December 9th 2005

AS LIFE trickled out of a two-week-old baby boy yesterday, the High Court seized the child from his parents and authorised a life-saving blood transfusion.

The dramatic action took place behind closed doors after the child's parents refused the transfusion on religious grounds even after the infant's twin died of similar complications.

Justice Maureen Rajnauth-Lee, presiding in the Family Court at Nipdec House, yesterday granted an application making the infant a ward of the court.

The court order directed that the child would remain under the custody of doctors at the Neonatal Unit until he is fully recuperated.

With the clock ticking down, Head of the Neonatal Unit, Dr Petronella Manning-Alleyne approached the Solicitor General Department requesting help yesterday morning, the Express learned.

In an almost immediate response Attorney General John Jeremie gave the authorisation for an application to be made before the High Court to make the baby a ward of the Court to allow for the infant to receive the blood transfusion and any other medical treatment.

In the application, Justice Rajnauth-Lee was informed that the surviving child was born with low blood count on November 25.

Eight days later, on December 3, the infant suffered more complications after he was diagnosed with "unanticipated bleeding" in the lungs which resulted in an even lower blood count.

The judge was advised that newborns cannot produce their own blood cells to rejuvenate themselves. Rajnauth-Lee was also informed that the child, who was hooked up to a ventilator, required immediate help and in order to remove the child from the ventilator he needed blood transfusions.

The Express learned that the situation developed after Joanne Ammon, of Waterloo Road, Arouca, gave birth to twins at the Port of Spain General Hospital.

The average weight of each baby was one pound, 12 ounces.

They were born prematurely, about six-months into Ammon's pregnancy.

Hours after the twins were born, one of them died of shock due to an "extremely low blood count", the Express was told.

The surviving baby was being prepared last night to undergo his first blood transfusion at the ICU of the Neonatal Ward and doctors anticipated that he would remain a patient for the next two months.

The parents, Joanne and Winston Ammon Jr, who belong to the Jehovah's Witness faith, had objected to the blood transfusion on the basis of their religious beliefs.

Jehovah Witnesses do not accept transfusions of whole blood or major blood components, one member of the faith told the Express.

Instead, they seek the use of non-blood medical alternatives which are used in hospitals around the world and in cases where the patient is over 18 years of age, the decision to accept or refuse treatment requiring blood is left up to the patient, the elder, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I dont know why nobody has responded as of yet but i think this is brilliant news; and whilst it doesnt set any kind of precedent I think the courts are waking up to considering the welfare of the child as paramount to any other interest or view.

DB74

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

i feel sorry for the parents, esp the mom. it's got to be hard having your child taken away like that. even so...i'm know it was better for the child now and in the long run.

luv, jojo

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

the elder, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said.

Can't blame him, I wouldn't want my name associated with it either!

I wonder what Baby John Doe is going to think when he gets older and finds out Mom and Dad let his twin die over a blurry religious edict?

(There's no way to know if the child would've lived even with the transfusion, of course, but his chances for survival were certainly reduced.)

Dave

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie
    The parents, Joanne and Winston Ammon Jr, who belong to the Jehovah's Witness faith, had objected to the blood transfusion on the basis of their religious beliefs

I'm glad the courts moved quickly enough to try to save one of the twins. This "rule" never made sense to me.

YC

• dinah
    dinah

Did you notice the baby only weighed 1 1/2 pounds?? Sounds like a REALLY pre-mature birth. The baby's lungs arent developed. I would be interested to know if the baby lives anyway. It's not so much a anti-blood stance on my part, it's just I don't really trust doctors either. That baby can feel pain and is probably tired of all the probing and poking.

My heart goes out to the baby's mother. Nothing can ever be as hard as losing a child, whether courts are involved or not.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

God bless Justice Maureen Rajnauth-Lee

• Gill
    Gill

An all round tragedy, in my opinion.

Let's not forget that these parents are sadly misguided and brain washed. Now, they face a double tragedy and not only that, have their so far surviviing child taken from their care.

Who's the blame? I wonder! Could it be the crazy GB of the infamous WTBTS who came up with this man made rule in the first place.

My mother said to me,' don't forget how many brothers lives have been saved because they didn't take blood transfusion and didn't get aids or hepatitis!'

And I answered: 'but how many brothers died because they didn't take blood?' Of course, she had no answer to that.

Those poor parents must be breaking their hearts over all of this, instead of being of the opinion that a least the doctors are doing everything they can to try to save their baby.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit