mind control

by spider 0 Replies latest jw friends

• spider
    spider

I just watched a Louis Theroux show.He was investigating charismatic figures who charge big bucks to help people "believe".I understand that it is good to have confidence in oneself - to be positive.Saying "I can do this" to yourself like a hypnotic mantra and this will increase your chances.
    They take it a stage further though.This guy was running a seminar for people who wanted to be millionares.Of course it cost a lot of money to get into it.
    Having been a witness the techniques he used creeped me out.We have all experienced a particularly good salesman that has somehow made us buy something we didn't need but he was something else.He had a power over people.The way he spoke, the direct eye contact - he had obviously honed his craft of manipulating and controlling.He put others under a spell.He said people should put away their scepticism that was holding them back and just believe in him and what he was telling them.A sceptical attitude was a bad thing.They should have faith.Alarm bells were ringing for me.
    There was a new language that was developed.The language of positivity.People would say "No challenge" instead of "No problem".They did not say how they felt, they said how they wanted to feel.If their leg got broke the'd say "I feel great".This seemed to me reminiscent of the programming that we had as witnesses where what we thought and what we felt were disconnected.Surely lying to yourself can't be a healthy thing.
    What struck me most was how, with study and practice how easy it is to exert power and control over others.
    Evangelical religions use exactly these same techniques.Without the religious context the same effects were being manifest.There was no mention of Jesus but these guys were being controlled in that same kind of way - played like an instrument to the tune of one man.It was very cultic.At the end everyone was queing up to hand over five thousand dollars for the next seminar.
    What is this power? Why does it weave such magic? I have not studied psychology and I wonder if their is a good explaination.
    Whatever though, it is scary that people can exert such power over others.Thankfully though I think ex witnesses are particularly good at recognizing such tricks and not surcumbing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit