Fascinating chat with my neighbor

by Lady Lee 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I had a little chat with a neighbor tonight and somehow we started talking about fanatical religious people. She started telling me about a priest she used to know that was fleecing members of the church and got away with a hefty sum of money. Well isn't this down my alley???

At the end I add in that the worst part of this is that a man of God betrayed the trust of the congregation.

Yes she says. Some of them still can't go into a church anymore.

I'm nodding and listening and then ask my question. Have you heard of Jehovah's Witnesses. I think she was expecting me to say I was one. But I told her I used to be one but left 20 years ago.

Well.... the story she had for me. Years ago she had a younger family member (forgot the relationship) but this fellow married a JW. (Turns out they went to the same hall I got married in. It is such a small world) Because they had hardly any money this neighbor invited the realive and hiw JW wife to live with them until they gor settled. The husband went to work and the JW wife went knocking on doors. The JW was able to get a Russian Bible for my neighbor and she was very happy to have it.

Now my neighbor says she went to some meetings and it sounds like the JW was studying with her. Then one day the elders came to visit the two couple. The elders sat down and told my neighbor and her husband that Mr X is disfellowshipped and you cannot invite him into your home or speak to him My neighbor used the trem "disfellowshipped". Years later she still remembers what it was called.

I don't think I have seen this woman that upset before. She said she stood up in front of the elders and told them that was the most unloving and unChristian thing she ever heard of. And she never went to another meeting. The couple moved out shortly after this because the JW was pregnant and they needed more space.

But my neighbor was still angry after all these years that so-called Christians would treat anyone like that. And she went on to tell me that from what she found out the JWs don't even beleive that Jesus died for them - just for 144,000 - how stupid is that?

Yes the WTS is making a name for themselves. This must have happened over 30 or 40 years ago and wow did it ever make an impression!!!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I don't think I have seen this woman that upset before. She said she stood up in front of the elders and told them that was the most unloving and unChristian thing she ever heard of.

Some people hold JW's in relatively high regard. Morals, ethics, etc. But when someone actually comes to know the inner workings of the org and gets exposed to the "real" JW world, they change their mind.

I wonder why we never read these sorts of opinions of JW's in the Awake? Oh yeah, propaganda.

Thanks for posting this!

Dave

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

(((Lady Lee)))

Thanks for sharing that story. People have been hearing about my story and are quick to ask, "What religion were you?" When I tell them, they respond, "Oh, yeah, JW's ... well, they're a cult."

Seems the word is getting around.

Love and light,

ESTEE

• Riverview
    Riverview

Thats really an interesting story...

I was always opposed (secretly) to the unloving act of disfellowshipping.

It just doesnt make sense, nor does it add up with verse.

chris.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Dave

I wonder why we never read these sorts of opinions of JW's in the Awake? Oh yeah, propaganda.

Now that would be a magazine I would want to see!!!

ESTEE

People have been hearing about my story and are quick to ask, "What religion were you?" When I tell them, they respond, "Oh, yeah, JW's ... well, they're a cult."

Yup They certainly don't have the good reputation they seem to think they have.

Riverwiew

It just doesnt make sense, nor does it add up with verse.

Yup And this woman knew it.

The younger couple lived with this lady and her husband for 3 years she said before they moved out. I'm betting she was preached too a lot. But she is in her 80's I believe and is a stright shooter and has wonderful people skills. And has a great heart. I can't see she would have ever bowed to the submission rules. She would have told them all where to go.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Sounds like she is a good neighbour to know!!! good experience ....

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Just had round 2 with my neighbor

Seems the man who had been DFed had some serious problems. His wife and child died. He lost his job and was quickly headed for bankruptsy. He got foolish and robbed someone and then got shot which resulted in him becoming a quadraplegic.

The WT response all through this had been to ignore this man's losses. Perhaps if he had gotten some support (my neighbor says) maybe he would not have made such a desperate decision.

You know the WTS is so scared of what others think of them. And then they pull crap like this. They really are their own worst enemy.

By their fruits you will know them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit