Simple questions for my buddy Duns.

by seven006 5 Replies latest jw friends

• seven006
    seven006

Duns/Dan, I have followed the posts where you and Alan have gone at each other debating the interpretation of old watchtower articles and the correct definitions of Latin terms. It's about as much fun as watching women's underwear drying on a clothes line. Since Alan is a good friend of mine and my statements saying that I do like you are genuine I thought I might be in a position to ask you a couple of questions that hopefully give all us standing in the bleachers watching the game a little better insight on exactly where you are coming from. My questions are simple ones and if you choose to answer them I would appreciate it if you do it with the fourth grade grammar that the American Advertising Association deems suitable for the average American to understand. For all our European viewers you could bump it up to a fifth grade level if you wish.

These questions are presented in a hypothetical manner only. I only wish to try and get a better understanding of where you as a person are coming from.

Here they are.

1. If you told the CO of your circuit that you were regularly participating on a DB that is positively known to be dominated by disfellowshipped apostates what do you think he would
    tell you to do and would you care about what he said?

2. If your answer to question #1 is "I have no idea" would that be because of not knowing your CO on a personal basis or not knowing what his position is on the societies stated wishes on the matter?

3. If your CO told you to stop posting here would you follow his wishes and stop posting?

4. If your answer is you see no need to tell him why would that be?

5. Do you believe that a CO is put in his position within the JW society by god's will to act as a true shepherd of his organization?

6. If he told you to stop posting would you continue and would you consider it a sin in the eyes of god and his earthly organization the Watchtower Society?

7. If you would not consider it a sin please explain why you feel that way.

8. Do you consider the societies stand on its members not coming to sites like this a good one or do you feel it should be left up to the individual JW to make his or her own decision?

9. (last one) If you choose not to answer these questions is it because you fear for what might happen to you and your family if it was discovered that you do participate on this site and if your answer is no please explain and if your answer is yes do you feel what might happen would be justified?

If you choose not to answer my questions I will completely understand, I in no way want to get you in trouble. If you do answer them could you please give more than a one or two word answers. I'm not trying to piss you off and I certainly do not want you to stop posting I was just curious about what Duns/Dan himself thought about these issues. No scripture quoting will be necessary in answering, I am only interested in your personal thoughts and feelings.

Your buddy,

Dave

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I have a question for Dunnscot. Why are your posts so damn long? I might actually read what you say if you weren't so boring.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Dave:

:These questions are presented in a hypothetical manner only. I only wish to try and get a better understanding of where you as a person are coming from.

Here they are.

1. If you told the CO of your circuit that you were regularly participating on a DB that is positively known to be dominated by disfellowshipped apostates what do you think he would
    tell you to do and would you care about what he said?:

I am sure he would encourage me to stop participating on this board. That is something that I plan to do anyway. But if I was told to stay away from these type of boards, I would carefully consider what the brother had to say and weigh it in the light of Scripture.

:2. If your answer to question #1 is "I have no idea" would that be because of not knowing your CO on a personal basis or not knowing what his position is on the societies stated wishes on the matter?:

I'll go on to the next question.

:3. If your CO told you to stop posting here would you follow his wishes and stop posting?:

Personally, I think one's decision to participate on a forum of this nature is a decision each individual must make. An elder could tell me not to participate on sites like this one all day. But I am old enough to apply Bible principles to ethical situations in my own life. As I said earlier, I would evaluate the brother's counsel (as I have always been wont to do) and apply his words, if I deemed it appropriate.

:4. If your answer is you see no need to tell him why would that be?:

I do not see any need to tell the CO what I am doing online. He is not a master over my faith. I have talked with some local elders about my activity in the past, however, and I have been told it was a conscience matter. Some do not mind the participation, but others do. I think that Christians should reach out to all sorts of humans though. Part of one's shepherding work may be coming to boards of this nature. It also gives me an opportunity to defend the faith and keeps me sharp academically.

:5. Do you believe that a CO is put in his position within the JW society by god's will to act as a true shepherd of his organization?:

I have to cite a passage from the Bible here. Acts 20:28 indicates that at least SOME overseers are appointed by the holy spirit of YHWH to shepherd the congregation of God. There is no suggestion that all overseers are appointed by God. What is more, COs and DOs are not infallible. They can err in conduct, speech, and thought. I listen to them as they "speak the word" of God.

:6. If he told you to stop posting would you continue and would you consider it a sin in the eyes of god and his earthly organization the Watchtower Society?:

First, I think that I must make the decision to continue posting or not posting here. Secondly, I make a mental distinction between God's demands and those of men. Therefore, I do not think of everything in terms of sin and righteousness per se. Some acts are either wise or unwise. I will explain below.

:7. If you would not consider it a sin please explain why you feel that way.:

I really do not want to expand on this point at length now. Let me just say that our understanding of what is doctrinally correct is ultimately provisional. We must be careful when we start dictating what God views as sin when it is not expressly stated in His Word.

:8. Do you consider the societies stand on its members not coming to sites like this a good one or do you feel it should be left up to the individual JW to make his or her own decision?:

I am not sure I can answer this question with a yes or no. I think the Society wisely admonishes us to avoid certain places on the web such as this forum. But it is up to the individual, I believe, to apply the counsel we receive. But one must remember that whatever he or she is sowing, he will also reap. Its not easy to come to a place daily, where people continually try to tear down your faith in God and JWs. I certainly would never recommend this place to my fellow brothers and sisters. Before I started posting and simply read the material here, I felt depressed everytime I came to this site. I now feel better that I get to voice my side. But its still not easy some days. But I do not have long to continue posting here.

Take care!
    Bud Dan

Duns the Scot

"Nobody is taller than himself or herself."

• seven006
    seven006

Duns,

Thank you for answering my questions honestly. You responses are pretty much as I expected. I had a feeling you were winding down your visit here and I just wanted to know where your head was at. I hope you can realize that the position you took and still maintain was and is the only reason for some of the negative responses you have received in your many posts. You would have to be completely unreasonable to expect any less considering what you now know to be true about some of the pain and suffering many here have had to endure as a result of the sunning issue. It is good to see that even though you view the JW's as the closest thing to what you feel is the "truth" in respects to a christian religion you can keep somewhat of an open mind to other possibilities. I think that is all one can ask of another with convictions such as yours and the realities of life altering circumstances if you were to finally admit any other way of thinking to be "more true". For those who could see past their understandable bias toward the banner you wave I think they can agree you are a man that is deserving of some respect and admiration. Just as you have come to realize there are a number of exJW's that can look through their pain and see things as they are with out prejudice opaqueing their view you have shown some if that same ability. An open mind is a terrible thing to waste.

I have enjoyed your visit here and I am better person for having that experience. Even though I did not get involved with a lot of your heated threads I did read them. Some have their own thoughts about who you are and where you came from. This has influenced them in the way they have responded to you. Others are still stumbling through their
    dictionaries trying to figure out what the hell you have been talking about these past few weeks. It has made for one of the more interesting times I have spent on sites such as this one. If you leave within the next week Alan F will not be able to say his good-bye. Please trust me in my saying that he does respect your intelligence and I think I have finally convinced him you are indeed a good guy. What you may think about Alan's agenda is probably wrong but that is something he would have to explain to you if you two ever have the chance to get through all the augmentative details and just sit down and have a normal conversation. Alan is also, one of the good guys.

I myself still maintain the desire to someday sit down and have a few drinks with you. Unfortunately because of circumstances beyond my control that will probably never happen.If you ever come to the conclusion like most of us have that the JW religion is as holy as swiss cheese please give me a call. Until then, take care my friend. It's been a hoot.

Your secret apostate pal,

Dave

• larc
    larc

Duns,

I want to echo the sentiments of 006. I have enjoyed your visit with us. I has been very stimulating. I have an open e mail. If you are ever in my area send me a note. I would enjoy sharing a pizza, beer, and a good conversation. If it was the right time of the year, we could even go see the great Adam Dun. Also, I hope you drop in from time to time, say, during a school break and drop a new thread on us.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Dave,

I for one am deeply touched by your sincere and open message to Duns and I feel sure that he sees that the bridge of kindness that you have built between yourself diminishes neither of you and that often friendship of greater worth than ideology.

Duns,

Whatever others might think, I re-iterate my recent message to you. Do keep posting. Your discourses have been very stimulating and I am quite sure that many others who grapple with the length and breadth of the phrases you use are very capable of understanding the depth of concepts discussed if their presentation was simplified, then you might be able to converse and enlighten an even wider audience.

Wordsworth as you may know, rejected the poetic intellectualism of his day and valued his writings as worthless if they were not able to be understood by the common man. Pantheism is an extremely complex belief system until you read Wordsworth.

As with Larc, my e mail address is unlocked and I would be pleased to exchange correspondence.

Whatever you choose to do, my best to you -- HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit