Is this a rip off or what?!!!

by sleepy 5 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

I've been meaning to write this for a while but haven't had time .Anyway about a week ago I returned from my holidays which included a trip to Fance were I have relatives .During this breack my Wife and I decided It might be intresting to vist the international convention staged in Paris .
    My wife had previously booked accommodation through the society via her mothers congregation in France.
    The cost for 3 nights in 2 star accommodation was 15 pounds ($20) each a night. Which was less the the usuall price in this hotel.
    I belive through making bulk booking the society gets discount.
    Imagine my supprise when I found out that poeple who had booked from Britian through the society had paid over 600 pounds ($900) for 6 nights in 2 star accommodation not including flighs or meals.
    Where did all this money go ?
    I dont know how much poeple paid from other countries but I estimate that there were a least 10,000 brothers from foriegn lands.
    If the true cost of accommodation was closer to 100 pounds a head they made 500 pounds profit on each pearson thats 5,000,000 pounds
    ($7,500,000) just on the foreigners.
    Was the assembly a fund raising exercise to pay the tax they owe in France?
    Anyone know anymore about these sort of events?

• sleepy
    sleepy

I'd realy like to know more about were this money goes.
    can annyone help?Remmember booking through Britian would add no extra cost to the socety so why did british people pay more than 6 times as much as the French for the same accomadation?

• nelly136
    nelly136

maybe because of the tax thing in france they cant afford
    to look like theyre making a profit?
    Over here tax isnt a problem as theyre classed as a charity

...just guessing
    nelly

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey sleepy ... TWO lousy stars ! ! ! .. that gives you what ? use of a toilet maybe ?

• teejay
    teejay

To answer your question, yes, they were ripped off. But hey, at least they got a fine, upbuilding spiritual program. That made the trip worthwhile, don'tcha think?

• Sunbeam
    Sunbeam

Hi Sleepy

My husband's mother was at the Paris convention too. She booked from Britain. Thanks for this info. It will be interesting to find out what she paid.

I'd be interested to know more about the event. Do you think the French government's recent crackdown on cults had affected attendance or the programme in any way?

Sunbeam
    xxx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit