If you want to help with hurricane relief, just put it in the regular box

by atypical 9 Replies latest jw friends

• atypical
    atypical

Was anyone else there to hear the letter about this? A few weeks ago, right after the New Orleans disaster, a letter from the society was read which said that if we wanted to contribute to the relief effort, we should put the money in the regular wordwide work box. It said that the society would apportion the appropriate amount for relief.

The letter then went on to relate how a bunch of families were saved because they were out of town at assembly, and how the brothers were going through the superdome with a watchtower in their pocket to pick out witnesses and take them somewhere better.

That letter blew me away and left me shaking my head. I thought, 'So now I am being told that I don't even have enough sense to decide myself how much of my hard earned money will go to help hurricane victims and how much will be used to further watchtower interests.' I don't understand why more witnesses aren't raising hell about things like this.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Yup they want to save all the money for all those court cases against them.

I think we had a discussion here already about them being allowed to go through the superdome to get people out. They make it sound so wonderful. But other religions were doing the same.

And they have been crowing about getting past the gates and looking for people. But how much can we really believe. Heck we had people who post here and went to help people and they didn't need to be card-carrying ex-JWs to get help

• LDH
    LDH

Also keep in mind, if your check is designated to "hurricane relief" then the WT becomes responsible to spend it on that. They do not want to have to do that, so they ask you not to designate it. Should they ever become audited......

What I will do is call the WT and find out EXACTLY how much they gave to Hurricane Relief and in what manner. I shall report back. By now they have had enough time to distribute goods and money. Certainly Jehovah's chariot is better than the Red Cross minivan.

Lisa

Knows Bullshit When She Smells It, Class

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

They are numb and have forgotten how to raise hell.

• Mary
    Mary
    It said that the society would apportion the appropriate amount for relief.

Ya and we all know what they consider "the appropriate amount"------ZERO. That is so pathetic that they would deliberately tell people not to designate their money specifically for the victims of a natural disaster-----I know of no other religion on planet earth that would try and pull such a dirty trick. Oh well, it shouldn't surprise us; Jesus said "...by their fruits you will recognize them."

• undercover
    undercover

Years ago, when we (JWs) were counseled about giving to charities, without naming names, we were told that some charity organizations would take donations and then split them evenly to all kinds of charities, including abortion centers and religious charities. We were asked how would we feel if we gave to a united charity group only to have them give our money to an abortion clinic.

When the United Way came around to my place of employment, I declined to sign up for the automatic payroll deduction, because of the above reasons. But so as to not be a complete bastard, I agreed to give a lump sum to them, granted that they give it to the charity of my choice. The United Way didn't want to do that. They wanted to be able to spend my donation, in the way they saw fit. Since we couldn't agree to my principles I declined to give them one red cent and sent my donation straight to the charity of my choice, which was better anyway because they could use more of the money since the UW would keep a percentage for costs. (the local UW got busted later for misappropriating funds)

Ironically, the WTS is operating the same way when it comes to donations for disaster relief. "Just give us money and we'll decide where it goes". Also, ironically, it was the counsel from the WTS as noted above that has made me more cautious about who I donate to and has made me see right through their scam.

How is it that JWs who are trained to be paranoid in how people ask for their time and money, aren't seeing right through this as they would any other charity organization?

• atypical
    atypical

I agree, Undercover. I would think that it raise more eyebrows than it seems to. Also, at our special assembly day a few weeks ago, I was floored by the accounts report. We were told that we had a surplus of $4000 from the last assembly. Then, they said that $3500 was sent to the society for the worldwide work (keep in mind all the bills for the assembly had been paid before sending the $3500), and this assembly cost $3000, so we now had a deficit of $2500. The assembly could have been totally paid for out of the surplus. It seems to me that no matter how much money comes in, it is sent to the society in order to bring the balance back to zero. It made me think (in contrast)of the time the Israelites were told to stop giving because there was so much surplus. It seems the witnesses will never be told to stop giving, even at an assembly which was titled, "Keep Your Eye Simple".

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yes, the message is simple too: send money!

Nina

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

What chaps my ass about this is that the relief donations go toward JDub causes. Rebuilding Kingdom Halls, and helping Dubs. For an organization whose prime mission is to seek out people of the 'world' and help them to attain everlasting life, it appears a little suspicious when they wont help keep them alive before armageddon.

steve

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

....I don't understand why more witnesses aren't raising hell about this....

I understand why. Most of them have totally lost the power of independent thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit