Does "proselytizer in Christ's name" = "Christian"?

by OldSoul 4 Replies latest jw friends

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

I am confused by a generally accepted perception that there is a need to proselytize to be a Christian, or at least testify. Any information (preferrably in the form of Scripture) that someone can give to shed light on this enigma would be very helpful.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• JH
    JH

There are "Christians" and there are "True Christians", just like there is Christ and many false Christs..............I guess

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

1 Pet.3:15.

If someone asks, you answer. Is that proselytization?

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

The "thumpers' drive me nuts. They seem incapable of having a discussion, almost any discussion, without bringing scripture into it. As if they don't have an opinion unto themselves! I've never seen them as "true" christians.

Some of the greatest examples of christians have been non-christian! Ghandi comes to mind. Although he considered himself Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, etc. He would have made a terrific Bahai. Mother Theresa was in it only for the glory of poverty.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

No, LittleToe. And that is the same principle I take to heart. I can't count how many times in the past year people have noted some spark in me they don't see in most people and have asked what caused it. I tell those who ask.

Brenda, you said in another thread that you are Mystic/Agnostic but you believe in Christ. If I may be so bold, what about your beliefs excludes you from Christianity? I can easily understand if that label of Christian would chafe you around the neck. Is there something you believe that makes you think you are outside the scope of Christianity, or do you just prefer not to be identified with the "thumpers?" Please, PM if this is too abrupt or personal for the forum.

I use the Bible a lot in my posts, but usually it is when I am answering someone's question who has asked on the basis of the Bible or when I am asking someone who professes confidence in the Bible a question. I don't consider myself a "thumper" because I am not proselytizing. Does the motive and objective have any mitigating force on whether use of the Bible makes someone a "thumper?"

I am curious about the unspoken "societal rules" governing these things, being in so long can blind you to how these sorts of issues are perceived.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit