Average JW's age?

by jstalin 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• jstalin
    jstalin

Is there any demographic information available on JWs, such as average age? I have a friend who is a devout JW and he invited me to the memorial this year. One thing that interested me is that there were perhaps 10 guys and girls under 30. My friend mentioned to me that most kids leave the org when they're around 18. He's 23, and still lives with his parents. I get the feeling that when JW kids leave home, they tend to leave the org too. Any personal experiences in this area?

• Jordan
    Jordan

Depends on the kids, depends on the home. I mean, I'm still living at home, but I left the organisation 3 years ago. I get the general feeling there are more older ones in the organisation, perhaps once you're past a certain age that promise of meeting your loved ones again, is all the more effective. Just my view though.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Uh I left just before I moved out, I was nearly 18 at the time. My best friend was also nearly 18 though he was still living at home. I remember a few leaving around 15-16.

At least the congregation Im from has vast majority of those that are collecting the senior's discount. However there are some younger families as well but they are vastly outnumbered.

• garybuss
    garybuss

No Witness intends to keep up the regimen of meetings, study, and service their whole life. They all look for an end to the world AND an end to the endless meetings and service requirements. To an 18 year old, turning 18 is a HUGE mile post and they HAVE NOTICED the passage happened without the LONG (to them) promised reward.
    If they were lied to like I was, it's no wonder they leave after they notice the non-delivery of the promises. I was promised I'd never have to go to HIGH SCHOOL in the "old world". I was promised I'd never get married and have kids in the "old world". All lies! I went to high school, I got married, I have 4 adult sons, and one grandson. If I retire at 62, I can draw Social Security benefits next spring.
    The young people are smart to leave the group early. I wish I had.

• Dune
    Dune

Most of the guys I grew up with left the orgo or went to different congregations. My congregation consists mainly of 50+ year old women.

I havent actually convinced myself to leave yet, but by the time i turn 20, i think the snowball might be big enough.

• ConFuseDnStresSed05
    ConFuseDnStresSed05

In some ways yes, children do tend to leave early. I'm going through a dilema now trying to figure whether or not to stay or pursue my goals and actually live MY LIFE the way i want to. Most children leave for school or to live on their own at the age of 18 as i want to do. When they do they see the real world and see the lies they have been taught and decide its not the best thing for them.

• pratt1
    pratt1

I would agree that most children leave the dubs once they leave home.

In my house the rule was, "as long as you live under my roof, you must attend the meetings and be active".

I am sure my mom regrets that now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit