No more reciepts for the flowers bought after the District Assembly...

by What_is_ur_point 5 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• What_is_ur_point
    What_is_ur_point

Sorry to say now that the 2005 District assembly will not be giving out any reciepts for tax deductable purposes..

Sorry bout that.

• Cady
    Cady

I have no idea why but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy to hear that - not b/c I give a care about the flowers, but somehow the fact that everyone here knows exactly what you're talking about makes me feel a little less alone in the world. I moved to Seattle a bit ago and a bit lost for awhile, and even now w/friends it's hard for them to get this old part of my life that was being a jw. But somehow here, that phrase - and no, I'm not drinking! lol Which is too bad, b/c at least then I'd have an excuse for such a ridiculous comment!

Hugs, Cady

• blondie
    blondie

I don't think you need a receipt unless you donate $250 worth of flowers at one time. I think that is the IRS rule on that.

• Scully
    Scully

Maybe it's a bit different in the US, Blondie.... in Canada, the flowers that are used as decorations on the platform at the District Conventions were normally offered to delegates. Before 1991, they were offered for a nominal fee (usually at cost), but after the tax laws changed, it was by Donation™.

Maybe someone from Canada Revenue Agency raised an eyebrow at the practice and expressed concern about the "irregularity".

One of my fondest wishes is to see the WTS have to submit to a tax audit.

• blondie
    blondie
    Maybe it's a bit different in the US, Blondie.... in Canada, the flowers that are used as decorations on the platform at the District Conventions were normally offered to delegates.

Yes, I thought that was what I was commenting on. The flowers used to be offered for $2 a plant prior the IRS concerns and then went to a donation arrangement. Some JWs feel like they need a receipt for every $ they donate to the WTS. In fact the WTS usually announces that if anyone is going to donate $250 or more to the WTS that they need to go to administration to get the form filled out and signed that the IRS requires. Under $250, a receipt is not required by the IRS. I don't know what Canada requires from its citizens when filing an annual tax report to the government.

Do I need a receipt for donations I make? The IRS doesn't require receipts for cash donations under $250, but you should keep donation information on file. Cash contributions of $250 and over require an acknowledgement that must be sent to the IRS with your tax returns.

http://www.justgive.org/html/don_info/tax.html

*** km 1/94 p. 7 Announcements ***

According to new tax laws in the United States, beginning in 1994 anyone making a contribution of cash or other property in an amount of $250 or more on a specific date to the Society, a congregation, an Assembly Hall, or a circuit must have written substantiation of the gift. The person making the gift must receive the letter of substantiation before he can claim a deduction on his tax return. Canceled checks for contributions of $250 or more on a single date are no longer considered proof of the donation by tax authorities. The substantiation must also indicate whether the donor received any goods or services in connection with his contribution. Bodies of elders, Assembly Hall Committees, and circuit assembly overseers have been instructed to supply a letter acknowledging all such contributions to those who request substantiation.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    I moved to Seattle a bit ago and a bit lost for awhile, and even now w/friends it's hard for them to get this old part of my life that was being a jw.

Cady, just for grins you should go to the District Assembly at the Tacoma Dome. FOr some reason all the speakers and demonstrations all sound like they are really bad overactors. They emphasize syllables in weird places and sound like they have a microchip implanted in their heads - microchips with a slight glich. It's really weird. I haven't noticed it at other District COnventions ... really weird.

Also, Cady .... is that a guitar in the background on your pic?

-ithinkisee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit