Bible Question: Faithful and Discreet Slave

by XBEHERE 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    Matthew 24: 45 “Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? 46 Happy is that slave if his master on arriving finds him doing so. 47 Truly I say to YOU , He will appoint him over all his belongings.

Ok pretty much most of us who post on here can agree that the WT misapplies these verses.. so what do you think it really means? Is it just another of Jesus parables?

• Leolaia
  • XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Leolaia,

Very interesting explanation. So it is a parable Jesus perhaps used to teach something. Makes sense.. how many of us, if were not JW's would read those verses and conclude that we needed to find gods visible org on earth from it? Nobody, we only believed it because they told us to.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I think it is a rhetorical question directed at individuals. The WTS generally quotes these verses out of context, ignoring the verses immediately preceding:

Mat 24:43

But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into.

Mat 24:44

So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

In that context, when Jesus asks, "Who then is the faithful and discreet slave?", He is obviously alluding to what He has just said in the above verses. Each individual must decide for himself whether he will be "faithful and discreet," faithfully carrying out his Master's assignments, when the Master returns unannounced at a time that the servant would not know. The alternative would be to take the position of the evil slave - "my master is delaying" - and carry on as if the master would never return.

Interestingly, it is only one who expects the master to return at a specific time who can really conclude that the master is delaying - given the WTS's history of date-setting, they would seem to qualify better as the evil slave than the faithful one.

And if the WTS (or anyone else) really believes that the FDS is a "class" that was appointed by Jesus to a position of authority, the burden of proof for such a position is clearly upon them, since the plain reading of the text does not even come close to supporting such a claim.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Dang, Leo, every time I think I've written a good answer on this type of thread, you trump me with a fancier one (and usually faster than I can post too)...

Please tell me you have at least a doctorate in theology so I won't feel so bad?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Also note that Luke locates the Matthean (I no longer see Q as necessary) parable away from the apocalyptic section and placed it just after and narratively connects it with another slave/ master parable. This shows clearly that the author of Luke did not understand the parable as any 'sign' or feature of the last days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit