What did you want to be when you grew up? Did you live your dream?

by coffee_black 9 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I know things would have been different if I had not been raised as a dub. Since I left the borg, I've been making up for lost time, but still did not fully become what I wanted to be.

I wanted to be an artist... I do some artwork, but it's only a small part of what I do for a living.

How about you? What was your dream?

Coffee

• blondie
    blondie

A teacher.

Now that I am "grown up" I volunteer teach English as a Second Language (ESL). They are short on tutors in the local schools and I am considering signing on for that.

I always felt that information is power and knowing how to find that information too.

Blondie

• weinermcgee
    weinermcgee

i was so programmed i never thought i had any choice in the matter besides janitor and a pioneer or ideally both. But now i can say my dream is my own business which i have accomplished, and no its not a cleaning business. But i feel really sad watching the students going to university I feel that i really missed an experience there, i probably would have gone for a busines degree.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

A writer (as a profession) and, no, not yet. Thanks a lot.

Just kidding. I'm working on realizing that dream.

OldSoul

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I wanted to be a lawyer when I was young and this was sapped out of me by the time it came to studying at School; instead I went into the construction industry at first - When I left the truth it became apparent that I wasnt of low intelligence which is how I was treated when in the Borg but completely the opposite; I passed the entrance exams for mature students in a well regarded law school and I am now completing my professional exams to hopefully qualify as a Barrister. I am currently working as a paralegal and advocate in a labour law firm - yes I am living my dream...and its a great way to wave two fingers to the Watchtower and Bible Tract Society.

Information and knowing where to obtain that information is 'power' blondie and I agree....what reflects greater power though is knowing how to use it.

DB74

• Cady
    Cady

When I was little I used to write a lot and thought I could become a writer (but then so do a lot of kids lol). As I got older I became very practical and learned to short-circuit any personal desires. I would be a pioneer, regardless of the fact that I hated service. After I left the dubs, I realized I loved people and the way the mind works fascinates me. I'm in Psych now, so my dream is real now.

• chrissy
    chrissy

coffee_black, is your avatar a piece of your artwork?

i wanted to be a ballerina or dancer. but there was no talk of that as a dubbie kid. i took some dance classes in college my first year as a free'd adult. it was a satisfying experience but i realized some dreams go unrealized and that's ok.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hi Chrissy,

No, my avatar is actually a drawing by my son. I'm hoping he will persue his talent....and realize his dreams. He's has fewer limitations than I had at his age.

It's good to see that others are persuing their dreams.. Talent is a terrible thing to waste.

Coffee

• lola28
    lola28

I wanted to be journalist, I am only 21 now so maybe sometime in the future I could pursue this but for now I am happy where I am.

lola

• Mary
    Mary

I never gave it much thought because I was never going to be an adult in this System of Things .........I looked forward to seeing my sister in the resurrection and petting a lion. I often wanted to be an astronaut though, because even at a young age, I figured we'd eventually travel to other planets.......I mean, why would Jehovah create the universe if man was expected to only stay on the earth?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit