a lesson on handling molesters from Babylon the Great

by proandcon 1 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• proandcon
    proandcon

the WTS could learn something from this practical yet effective method...it won't...it's lack of humility and care for only its own well being is overwhelming...

Molestation charge rocks congregation

By CHRIS DOVI
    Staff Writer

Last update: September 26, 2005

BUNNELL -- Tears and forgiveness, uncertainty and praise flowed in equal measure under dimmed sanctuary lights during Sunday morning service at Praise Assembly of God.

"We are a precious family of God," the Rev. Don Wilburn told a gathering of about 80 church members. For some, it was their first word that the church's youth pastor, the Rev. Chris Thomas Miller, had been arrested Friday night and charged with child molestation.

Wilburn fought back his own tears as he tried to provide solace to his stunned congregation.

"Thursday afternoon, we were made aware of a situation," he told the church gathering. "The information was that Chris Miller, our youth pastor, had touched two teenagers in a manner that was unacceptable to us."

Both girls are members of the church whom Miller had befriended in his role as youth minister, according to the Flagler County Sheriff's Office investigators who arrested him Friday night.

Miller, 26, of Palm Coast remained Sunday at the Flagler County Inmate Facility on $100,000 bail charged with six counts of lewd and lascivious molestation. During an interview, Miller provided details of incidents within the past eight weeks involving the girls, both younger than 16, investigators said.

Asking for prayers for the girls so they could understand Miller's alleged actions "had nothing to do with them," Wilburn told his congregation the church's board of deacons late last week had "unanimously terminated (Miller's) employment immediately and restricted him from the property."

He also asked for prayers for Miller and his family, and told the church Miller's wife and young son are with relatives right now.

"I want you to please know that we are so sorry to . . . cause you to experience this," Wilburn told church members, his words broken occasionally by stifled sobs from the crowd. "We realize that in the days to come, there will be rumors. The only thing I can ask you is to remember the heart of your church."

Wilburn promised to maintain open communication with all church members "to help you distinguish rumor from fact."

In the days ahead, Wilburn said, the church must remain the same strong family it has been during good times.

"If this church has to walk through something like what we are facing, I'm so glad I'm walking with you," he said. "I love you."

Members of the church all declined comment, but some spoke freely during the church service, leaning heavily on scripture readings as they choked back tears to speak.

One church member, Maggie Williams, interrupted Wilburn as he prepared to end the service.

"As I told pastor earlier, God is in control and he has him here at this time and this place for a purpose," Williams said. "When Moses was in the wilderness, every step of the way, no matter what, God was still in control."

To the cheers of others, Williams promised Wilburn "that no matter what this church goes through, I'll be here behind him."

• Perry
    Perry

I asked one of the associate pastors at my church point blank during a meeting what he would do if child molestation was brought to his attention either by the victum or the perp (confession). A little stunned he said that the "crime" (he didn't say sin) would need to be dealt with. He then said something about how the process would be handled about going to the police would depend on who or where the info. came from. A child, they would go and if it was the perp they might give him a chance to go first before they turned him in.

I told him he passed. He looked relieved that I wasn't about to reveal something awlful! LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit