Thomas Maxwell - JW and Pedophile!

by Kent 5 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Kent
    Kent

Fury at sheriff's 'exile' comments

Maxwell's name was added the sex offenders' list

Scottish Justice Minister Jim Wallace has been asked to investigate comments made by a sheriff as he allowed a paedophile to escape a jail term.
    Thomas Maxwell was sentenced to three years probation and 240 hours community service by Sheriff William Reid at Alloa Sheriff Court.

The sheriff said he took the 60-year-old's "self-imposed exile" to the Western Isles into account when passing sentence.

But Sheriff Reid's comments have provoked anger in Leverburgh, on the Isle of Harris, where Maxwell now lives.

Western Isles MP Calum Macdonald has written to Mr Wallace over the matter.

Mr Macdonald said: "The implication of the sheriff's remarks that 'voluntary exile to a remote part of the Western Isles' was equivalent to a custodial sentence has, for obvious reasons, been much resented by my constituents."

Mr Macdonald said he wanted clarification on what directions were given to sheriffs to guard against them making insensitive comments.

The islands' MSP, Alasdair Morrison, said he was "absolutely dismayed" at Sheriff Reid's remarks.

He said: "I share the concerns which have been expressed by community representatives on Harris."

Maxwell, a Jehovah's Witness for more than 30 years, was found guilty of sex offences against a 12-year-old.

Sentencing him Sheriff Reid, who described the offences as "thoroughly nasty", said: "If I were to send you to prison the maximum period you could spend there would be three months, and then you would be released back into the community without any supervision whatsoever.

"I doubt whether such a short period of imprisonment would benefit you or society as a whole.

"It is better for the community that you be kept under prolonged supervision.

"I also take into account that you have voluntarily exiled yourself to some remote part of the Western Isles."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_882000/882462.stm

More on Thomas Maxwell on The Watchtower Observer

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between a fool and the JW legal department is that a fool might be sympathetic ."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Kent,

I wander who's picture looks the worst? Is it you or him?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Thomas Maxwell back in the news:

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I see the dude is a "former Jehovah's Witness".

hawk

• Scully
    Scully

This is a priceless quote, and one that needs to be emphasized:

"There is no such thing as a low-risk paedophile. These people never change."

On second thought, maybe I could add my own spin on this:

Low-risk paedophiles are dead paedophiles.

Love, Scully

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The local people protested his return:

http://www.virtualhebrides.com/maxwell_paedophile/

Leading to his refusal to move back into the community

Goodness knows where he is now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit