Compare these two quotes

by Pathofthorns 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

From jw-media.org (Frequently Asked Questions) [url] http://www.jw-media.org/beliefs/beliefsfaq.htm[/url]

Do you believe that you are the only ones who will be saved?

No. Many millions who have lived in centuries past and who were not Jehovah's Witnesses will come back in a resurrection and have an opportunity for life. Many now living may yet take a stand for truth and righteousness before God's time of judgment, and they will gain salvation. Moreover, Jesus said that we should not be judging one another. Humans look at the outward appearance; God looks at the heart. He sees accurately and judges mercifully. God has committed judgment into Jesus' hands, not ours.—Matthew 7:1-5; John 5:22, 27.

Compare with: the September "Our Kingdom Ministry" under the heading "Lives are at Stake"

"The masses of people facing annihilation if they fail to respond to the good news include our unbelieving relatives, neighbors, workmates, schoolmates and acquaintances."

and don't you just love that word "annihilation"? what a horrible word!!

reminds me of those pics of the happy JW family running into the New World with the nuclear bomb going off behind them.

welcome to the real world [url] http://slate.msn.com/BigPicture/96-11-21/BigPicture.asp[/url]

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Path,

Interesting quotes. Do you remember the thread where we all argued about whether jw's actually taught they were the only ones to be "saved"?

If the statement was qualified, then these would
    be the "saved:"

1. Jehovah's Witnesses - as a class
    2. mentally unstable persons
    3. Dead people in general
    4. Whoever God judges in their heart to be worthy.

The key to #4, is in the Kingdom Ministry.

WTBTS says we're not the only ones. We are taught that we are. Of course, there could be exceptions to the class rule.

waiting

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman
    Many now living may yet take a stand for truth and righteousness before God's time of judgment, and they will gain salvation.

I think that this statement is the key, so to speak. It's good PR to state that JW's don't believe that only JW's will be saved.

Obviously, those who have died centuries ago couldn't have learned the "truth". Of course, they don't mention the fact that it is believed that these resurrected ones will be "witnessed" to, and if they don't accept the "truth", they will be annihilated on the spot.

The quoted sentence, however, sounds good, but actually means that many of those now living will become JW's, and will therefore gain salvation.

So, in reality it comes down to the fact that only JW's will be saved....no matter how they try to doublespeak otherwise.

• Andyman
    Andyman

My wife had a call yesterday from a lady who has been studying with the JW's for years. My wife started the study and then it was turned over to someone else when we moved from the area for a short time. When we got back my wife still went on the study but she no longer conducted it.

This lady has been studying for probably over 10 years. There is such little interest around here that this isn't really of much concern, even though I believe the society would frown on it since she hasn't progressed to babtizm yet.

She hadn't been going to meetings for awhile and really hadn't seen much of the JW's till just recently. It is almost time for the C.O.'s visit and the push is on to get studies to commit to babtizm.

She is very confused, and has been reading a book called "Jehovah Talk". I haven't read this book so I really don't know to much about it. Any way it has gotten her to thinking, not good for the JW's, and since she knows we haven't been going to meetings for years she called and talked with myh wife.

She has notice the "say one thing mean another" and was asking my wife about it. She also was talking about the "guilt" she is made to feel for not making meetings like she should and keeping up her study. She said she worries about who comes to visit, "worldly people" and what the JW's might think if they came by when some of those people are visiting. The people that visit aren't bad people, but she has been "warned" about to much "worldly" association. She was also worried that God would abandon her if she stopped studying with the JW's.

I know the woman that has been studying with her and know that she has been very high pressure in her trying to get this woman to join the society. She has layed a lot of guilt trips on the lady, and it really has this lady upset.

My wife simply answered her questions, didn't get carried away like I might have, and they had a great talk. It was the first time in over 3 years that my wife has been able to express her feelings to someone else besides me. I think it helped both of them.

The point I am getting at is that the society is so good at saying one thing, like the quote Path made above, and yet not really meaning it. It is just propoganda to get people into the organization, then the real truth comes out and by then it is to late.

God's people shouldn't have to resort to these tactics to get followers, at least that is my opinion.

Take care.

Andyman:

• Dubby
    Dubby

Red,

Do you think the WTS purposely designs "doublespeak" into their teachings, or is it just the many different writers not checking each others work? If it's the former, then they are truly evil. If it's the latter, how can they be guided by Christ? JW's would say that "yes, they make mistakes", but there is too many anomolies in WTS teachings to pass off as just "mistakes" in my opinion.

I've already decided for myself that the WTS is not God's org., but it would be interesting to know the true motives of the WTS.

TR

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

TR, I honestly think that the doublespeak is intentional. It isn't random. Look at the publications intended for the public at large (such as tracts and pamphlets). They are carefully worded so as to be inoffensive, in fact, downright positive; yet they contain a message that any JW will immediately recognize from their training.

Evil? My personal opinion is that they are. Someone else might just say that it makes good business sense. Why turn off prospective converts before they get a chance to be properly inculcated? Stress the positive aspects and cloak the negative in doublespeak so that it sounds good. As Mary Poppins said, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down."

Look at the recent changes to blood transfusions, voting, and selective service. Everything has changed just enough to sound reasonable to the world, yet every JW knows that a "mature Christian" recognizes that nothing, in fact, has changed at all. On several threads on Witnet this doublethink was presented as a matter of course.

• somebody
    somebody

Hi everybody...I missed you all. I've had computer problems but I'm back in business now.

Path...or anyone else....do you have the site that has the KMs on it? I used to have it but lost everything.

Thank you RHW for giving me the link to this site again. I appreciate it greatly.

Till next time,
    somebody

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Hey somebody.

The only link I have was mesko.port5.com and that appears to have gone with Joe. I only have what's available on the WT CD myself. Is there anything like a particular article you're looking for?

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit