Looking for quote

by startingover 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• startingover
    startingover

I have read a quote from the WT concerning the importance of a critical examination of your religion. I have looked on quotes site and didn't find the one I remembered.

Anyone have a good quote they can share with me?

I have a loyal dub wife that keeps telling me I am being "critical" of the JW's. I told her the WT encourages tfor those of other religions. Of course she says if it was from like 1945 she doesn't want to see it.

Thanks

• SeymourButts
    SeymourButts
    watchtower 8-1-01 The Bible encourages us to check our beliefs against what it teaches. (1 John 4:1) Millions of readers of this magazine can testify that doing so has added purpose and stability to their lives. So be like the noble-minded Beroeans. ‘Carefully examine the Scriptures daily’ before you decide what to believe. (Acts 17:11) Jehovah’s Witnesses will be happy to help you to do this. Of course, it is your decision as to what you want to believe. However, it is the course of wisdom to make sure that your beliefs are shaped, not by human wisdom and desires, but, rather, by God’s revealed Word of truth.—1 Thessalonians 2:13; 5:21.

wt...12-1-95 Even if we feel that our traditional religious beliefs are based on the Bible, all of us should take the time to examine them carefully.

wt 2-1-82 Today hundreds of millions of people use the Christian “label” or “signature.” Maybe you are one of them. But how can you tell if you are a genuine Christian, the real thing? First, check your conduct and beliefs against the Bible record of the teachings of Jesus Christ and his apostles. Next, examine how early Christians applied those teachings. Thirdly, analyze your own form of religion to see if it fits the mold that Christ set. Now ask yourself, Is my religion genuine Christianity? Do I practice it?

Here are a just a few....I can find many more if you need them

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, I hope she realizes that "critical" does not always mean something negative.

• characterized by careful evaluation and judgment; "a critical reading"; "a critical dissertation"; "a critical analysis of Melville's writings"

w50 8/15 p. 263 Name and Purpose of The Watchtower ***

However, The Watchtower does not claim to be inspired in its utterances, nor is it dogmatic. It invites careful and critical examination of its contents in the light of the Scriptures.

From the Truth book (blue cover)

“It is important for each one of us to examine his religion... there is nothing to fear from such an examination” (TRUTH, p. 13)

w58 5/1 p. 261 Is Your Religion the Right One? ***

How can you tell whether your religion is the right one or not? A simple way of telling is to expose it to a test of God’s Word. If your religion is not in accord with what the Bible teaches, then it is not in harmony with truth. It is not right. "And if they speak not according to this word, they shall not have the morning light," said God. It is important, then, that you "keep testing whether you are in the faith," as Paul declared. Keep checking to see whether the things you believe are in keeping with God’s Word. But the question is, Are you willing to put your religion through such a test? There is nothing to fear, because if you have the right religion you can only be reassured by the examination. And if what you believe is not in keeping with the Bible, then you should welcome the truth, because it leads to light and life.—Isa. 8:20, Dy; 2 Cor. 13:5.

g01 6/8 p. 27 Are All Religions Different Roads Leading to God? ***

Your choice of religion should be an informed one based on a careful examination of the Scriptures. In the first century, certain educated people did more than simply accept the apostle Paul’s words at face value. They ‘carefully examined the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.’ (Acts 17:11; 1 John 4:1) Why not do the same yourself?

g73 11/8 p. 28 Is It a Sin to Change Religions? ***

Each individual is responsible before God to make an examination of his religious beliefs in the light of Bible truth. If such an examination reveals that one’s religion does not agree with the Bible, what should he do? Well, what did Abraham, Ruth, Peter, Paul and other faithful servants of Jehovah God do with reference to the religions formerly practiced? Keep in mind God’s command at 1 Thessalonians 5:21: "Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit