What's Worse, Being Sued -- or Haunted?

by Country Girl 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Sorry if this has been posted before, but it's just too wierd to pass up! First they shun eating at the table of the disfellowshipped living, now they won't share their groceries with the dead! This Judge is in for an interesting Court case. Who knows, may set precedent: "Ummm... I couldn't move in because we don't associate with ghosts."

What's Worse, Being Sued -- or Haunted?
    The Associated Press09-12-2005 The landlords of an Orlando, Fla., entertainment complex are suing two restaurateurs for refusing to move into a renovating building because they claim it is haunted.

Subcontractors who worked there and other people have reported seeing ghosts or other apparitions, said Lynn Franklin, attorney for the restaurant owners.

"It's very serious," Franklin said Thursday. "A lot of people are corroborating having seen incidents in this location."

The $2.6 million lawsuit filed last month by the owners of the Church Street Station entertainment complex says an offer to hold an exorcism was refused.

"I asked them if these were good ghosts or bad ghosts and, if they were good ghosts, why it was a problem," said David Simmons, an attorney representing the building's owners.

Christopher and Yoko Chung, the owners of Amura Japanese Restaurant, had planned to move into the building last October, but backed out of the lease.

Franklin said Christopher Chung's religious beliefs as a Jehovah's Witness required him to "avoid encountering or having any association with spirits or demons," and Chung also objected to the offer for an exorcism because it is a Roman Catholic rite not accepted by his faith.

The lawsuit also asks a judge to decide whether the building is haunted and, if so, whether the ghosts would interfere with the restaurant's business. Renovations have stopped on the building, and it remains empty.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

• kazar
    kazar

Interesting post, CountryGirl. Anticipating what happens with this

• Undecided
    Undecided

I wonder why some places are more ghosty than others? Are ghost confined to a building and can't go outside? I bet if you played rap music very loud for a while they would leave, especially if you had a good bass speaker like the blacks do here in the south. I had one behind me the other day at a traffic light and the bass was shaking my rear view mirror in my car.

Ken P.

• anewme
    anewme

I read about this case a month ago. It seems there is more to the story than is reported here. The building has a history. It appears that many many years ago it was a brothel upstairs or in the back and there was street talk of baby murdering, infanticide, going on in the place.

If this rumor is true, murder, I think there might be provision for the witness couple to get out of the deal. Even rumor could hurt their business. Asian people I think are very sensitive to these issues and it is going to be an asian restaurant. I think the couple has a good case personally.

I am interested in the outcome.

Thanks for sharing this again.

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

CG-

Many, many years ago I spent several hours in Church Street Station. It was when we lived in Jacksonville and I was waiting on a friend who was VERY late. I sat at one of the bars and the bartender told me stories about the place being haunted. It's a cool old building and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was haunted!

Talk to you soon. Glad the storm has missed you so far!

GH

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

((((((CG)))))) Sounds like yall came thru the hurricane okay. Everthing alright up there? Jasper's gettin it pretty bad.

Frannie

• fairchild
    fairchild

I've mentioned this a couple times before on JWD. I worked at a "haunted" restaurant for several years. Before my employment there, I never believed in that stuff, but over the years, I saw and experienced so many things out of the ordinary that I could write a book about it.

The major problem this restaurant had was to hold on to the workers. It seems that the ghost or whatever it was, aimed its pranks at the workers, not at the customers. I do believe that the owners of the restaurant lost lots of money over the years by constantly having to train new people. I saw many of the employees run out of the building after they had been "messed" with, and they never came back. Not as a worker and not as a customer. They just never set foot in the building again.

In a way, I'd venture to say that being sued is less dramatic than being haunted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit