Here's PROOF that Charles Taze Russell Was NOT a Pennsylvania Freemason

by AndersonsInfo 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

NO, CHARLES TAZE RUSSELL WAS NOT A PENNSYLVANIA FREEMASON!

Back in 2001, I requested historical information from the ANCIENT ACCEPTED SCOTTISH RITE OF FREEMASONRY, VALLEY OF PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA, asking if Charles Taze Russell, his father, Joseph Lytel Russell, and his uncle, Charles Tays Russell, were Freemasons. This is the answer I received in a letter:

"AFTER A SEARCH OF OUR RECORDS, WE DETERMINED THAT THE THREE RUSSELL'S WERE NOT MEMBERS OF OUR ORGANIZATION."

In their letter, the Pittsburgh Chapter recommended that I send an inquiry asking for further research on this question to the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania located in Philadelphia, which I did. On April 27, 2001, I received this reply:

"THE RECORD BOOKS IN THE GRAND SECRETARY'S OFFICE ARE UNAVAILABLE AT THIS TIME AS THEY ARE BEING CONSERVED AND SHOULD BE BACK SOME TIME IN THE FALL."

Inasmuch as I was very involved with other, more pressing, things then, I did not follow-up and eventually my desire for resolution of this question faded out of my mind. That is, until today, when I saw that this subject has not been resolved to the satisfaction of some posters, so I sent a follow-up email to the Masonic Temple, Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. Just a few minutes ago, I received this reply:

DEAR MS. ANDERSON,

CHARLES TAZE RUSSELL WAS NOT A PENNSYLVANIA FREEMASON. NOR DOES HE APPEAR IN THE RECORDS OF ENGLAND OR IRELAND.

I SHALL CHECK THE RECORDS FOR THE OTHER TWO RUSSELLS.

BEST,
    GLENYS A. WALDMAN
    LIBRARIAN

If and when I receive the answer from the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania about the other two Russells, I will post it.

In any event, I would hope that this answer from a search of the original records will forever put this issue to rest that Charles Taze Russell was never a Pennslyvania Freemason.

Barbara Anderson

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Barbara....Great info! I doubt tho it will convince the die-hards who will just say it's a big coverup....with a CT-addled mind, anything is possible, no matter how unlikely or no matter how much evidence disfavors the theory du jour.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

But we are all still in agreement that he was the Faithful and Discreet Slave, right?

Just making sure I'm keeping up with "current light".

Dave

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Thanks for this info, Barbara.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Hello Barbara,

Good to see you are on this net. Was nice meeting you and am looking forward to your further research that was discussed at our little gathering in Myrtle Beach.

Joseph

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

phewf! now i can sleep at night... no for real, with all the controversy on this site alone, i kept thinking and wondering. it's funny that all someone had to do was ask! why didn't i think of that???

bethel

• daystar
    daystar
    it's funny that all someone had to do was ask!

To the people who are prone to believe conspiracy theories this may not be enough. You see, to them, the conspiracy runs so deeply that in order to cover the Illuminati's tracks, they remove key Masons from their own records.

• kid-A
    kid-A

This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories! Conspiracy theories can neither be proven nor disproven. The simple point of that very old thread was that Russell did use masonic imagery on his literature, and was very clearly sympathetic to the masonic movement and based many of his early theological theories on masonic themes, such as Pyramidology.

Was his name on the list? Was he formally initiated? Does it matter? Not really. The simple point is that JWs today have no idea as to some of these old connections and influences. Obviously there was no 'grand conspiracy' with the free-masons to bring down the world or some other such nonsense. I have no problem with masons, I know several and they are great people. However, to deny that Russell used masonic imagery and philosophies in his own writings is preposterous. Whether he was formally initiated as "card-carrying" member of the freemasons is to completely miss the point.

• daystar
    daystar

Well, kid-A, I just can't seem to disagree with you there.

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for posting the result of your inquiries.

While researching the topics of Russell and the Great Pyramid, I found the following:

http://www.letusreason.org/JW16.htm

Lady Queenborough's book occult theocracy on pg.737 records C.T. Russells Masonic membership (published in 1933). While this book seems to be the only evidence of his membership the insignia and words used are undeniable.The use of the terms 'society' and 'brotherhood' are used today among the witnesses which show Masonic terminology was carried over from Russell.

I do not know who "Lady Queenborough" was, or if she should be considered seriously as an authoritative source, but I thought I would post this reference as some might use it to do further research.

I personally believe that while CT Russell was NOT a mason, Russell had an extensive knowledge of Masonic teachings.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit