Salman Rushdie and Religion :-)

by Cady 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Cady
    Cady

Salman Rushdie gave a reading tonight in Seattle, then answered questions. The man was amazing! He had you laughing hysterically and a moment later the room was totally silent. But by far the best part was when an audience member asked him his opinion of religion. He said "I'm not in favor of it." I started clapping and so did about half the audience, the other half was dead silent except for some guy up front who got mad.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey Cady,

sounds like a great time. i really enjoy Rushdie too.

it doesn't surprise me that he is not for religion. he is a victim of one of the hugest and craziest cults in the history of the world. Kinda like us, hey?

Have you ever read his short stories in "east, west"? great book.

TS

• chrissy
    chrissy

hey cady,

salman rushdie was in seattle tonight? that blows, i had no idea. where was the reading held, elliott bay book co, uw?

• chrissy
    chrissy

oh, and, do you know if he writes for the times, or the post intelligence?

• Cady
    Cady

Hey TS,

I'll have to pick up a copy of "east, west" - thanks for the recommendation.

Hey Chrissy,

The reading was at town hall but it was organized/sponsored by the UW bookstore. Do you live near the U?

• chrissy
    chrissy

actually i live a stone's throw from university bookstore, north local.

righteous. another seattle gal :) glad you're here. please stay.

• Cady
    Cady

I'm staying! I'm in the Psych prog at UW and just started a research position there. Seattle is so nice!

One thing I was thinking about tonight during Rushdie's talk was about a class from last quarter. We were reading a book by Gellner (Nations and Nationalism? Something like that.) Gellner said that intellectuals have often been the ones to inspire change. Watching Rushdie speak I was thinking that he is someone capable of leading people and inspiring them.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

That's right - I am not in favour of it. Just read any of my books.
    Eyeslice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit