Jehovah

by TweetieBird 8 Replies latest jw friends

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

When I was first having doubts about the organization, I stumbled across the following site...

. http://www.eliyah.com/jhovah.htm
    It really opened my eyes, because I have a mother-in-law that tells me constantly that the witnesses are the only ones that bear God's name. After I read some of this guys articles (I don't agree with everything he says) I realized that if there were one organization that the Creator were going to use, it definitely would NOT be Jehovah's Witnesses. I shared some of this information with the PO at the congregation that I occasionally attend, of which he quickly dismissed because he said that the translation was unimportant. Unimportant, my ass!

P.S. I hope I did the link right.

TweetieBird

"By doubting we come at truth" -Cicero

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

The Watchtower itself admits that the pronunciation "Jehovah" is possibly wrong and then dismissively says that it's better to go with the familiar than the correct!:

*** na 8-9 God's Name-Its Meaning and Pronunciation ***
    Where, though, did pronunciations like Yahweh come from? These are forms that have been suggested by modern scholars trying to deduce the original pronunciation of God’s name. Some—though not all—feel that the Israelites before the time of Jesus probably pronounced God’s name Yahweh. But no one can be sure. Perhaps they pronounced it that way, perhaps not.
    Nevertheless, many prefer the pronunciation Jehovah. Why? Because it has a currency and familiarity that Yahweh does not have. Would it not, though, be better to use the form that might be closer to the original pronunciation? Not really, for that is not the custom with Bible names.

w75 9/1 519 Insight on the News One young promiscuous woman who received a kidney from her older, conservative, well-behaved sister, at first seemed very upset. Then she began imitating her sister in much of her conduct.

• crossroads
    crossroads

The Fathers name is NOT JEHOVAH it is not possibly
    wrong it is definitly wrong. Stephen and I were recently
    told by two elderly elders it is used because it is widely
    accepted. Isn't the CROSS widely accepted. Don't you
    think the FATHERS name is more important to make a point over than the way the SON died?

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

My point exactly!

"By doubting we come at truth" -Cicero

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Tweety,
    Your right.
    Shortly before I stoped attending meetings an article showed up in one of the magazines where the society told us that that we don't really know how to pronounce God's name!! After all those years of craming this down peoples throats and looking down on religions and people that don't use the name Jehovah!!
    This was just one more of many last straws for me!I don't use the name Jehovah on a regular basis any more because of this "NEW LIGHT!"
    Ranchette

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

i believe the etemology for JEHOVAH is something like this:
    tetragramaton uses only 4 consonants YHVH which were changed in germanic languages (like english) to JHVH. the vowels came from the word (i believe it is latin) ADONAI (pronounced ah-don-eh?), which means lord in english. this adonai is descended from the earlier BAAL. so, it would appear that YHVH's has had his name combined with BAAL (i'm sure the witniesses must have his everlasting gratitude for this bit of publicity)

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Jesus real name: Yeshua bin Joseph if I remember correctly

-Dan

• Moxy
    Moxy

well, this doesnt seem like a big deal. language is as language is used. jehovah was used for centuries. lots of foreign names have inaccurate translations. i kind of see the difference with the adonai vowels here in that this was a DELIBERATE inaccuracy but it seems like kind of a fine distinction.

mox

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

If gods name is so important, why hasnt its pronounciation survived?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit