To my Dad

by Cygnus 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I know you read this board, and I know I say it often, and I know sometimes I post stuff you may not like, but I love you, and I really mean it, and I don't call you as often as I should. I'll try to call today (it's 2:30 am).

• onacruse
    onacruse

Oh, I love my Dad, and I know he loves me...but we haven't had a meaningful conversation for over 30 years.

Cygnus, I wish you all the best in nurturing the relationship you have with your Dad...

like you, I will keep trying.

Craig

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I won't be calling my dad. He'd probably hang up on me again.

Kwin

• onacruse
    onacruse

Kwin, I don't know your circumstances, nor do I want to divert attention from what was, I presume, intended to be a personal message from Cygnus to his Dad.

However, the angst I felt in this post touched me very personally. And so, if I may offer this small bit of perspective about parent/child relationships between ex-JWs and JWs--

Both my parents are close to death (by the natural cause of old age). As the years have gone by, I faced an issue: Would I let the damned religion of my upbringing stand between us? I say, would I let it stand between us...because, yes, in many ways it would have been easier to have written them off as decrepit brain-damaged illogical stupid pathetic numbingly ignorant self-deceiving people who have nothing left for themselves but to die and get it over with.

And, yes, I have, at times, felt exactly that way within my soul; sometimes I feel guilty about having such feelings; sometimes I feel absolutely justified in what might, to use a characteristic Biblical term, "righteously justified" about those feelings.

But all that said and done, they are my parents, and I am their first-born son, and nothing in this universe can change that fact.

Therefore, I will continue, in whatever way I can, to have, or attempt to have, a relationship with them, until the day that they die.

They owe me that, and I owe them that...and **** and *** and **** any religion that tries to come between us.

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit