Anyone read "The Jesus Mysteries"?

by poppers 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• poppers
    poppers

Subtitled, "Was the 'Original Jesus' a Pagan God?" by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy. From Amazon's Editorial Review:

"Freke (a philospher and author of books on spirituality) and Gandy (who is studying classical civilization) believe that first century Jewish mystics adapted the potent symbolism of the Osiris-Dionysus myths into a myth of their own, the hero of which was the Jewish dying and resurrecting godman Jesus. Therefore, the story of Jesus is a consciously crafted vehicle for encoded spiritual teachings created by Jewish Gnostics. We are unaware of this, they claim, because the Roman Catholic Church destroyed evidence of the connection between Christianity and the pagan mysteries. They make their case by offering an examination of mystery religions, especially Greek, pointing out the many parallels between them and what they see as the Gospels! message about Jesus. Freke and Gandy are familiar with a significant amount of recent biblical scholarship, though they rely mostly on Elaine Pagels!s work on the Gnostics. This book will obviously be controversial, but the authors are quite informed, as demonstrated by their extensive notes and bibliography. A list of related web sites, a Who!s Who, and an index add to the book!s usefulness. Recommended as an important book in the debate on the historical Jesus."David Bourquin, California State Univ., San Bernardino

Copyright 2000 Reed Business Information,"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0609807986/qid=1127322346/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-3090499-2262367?v=glance&s=books

I found it to be very interesting, especially the stuff on Gnosticism.

• Legolas
    Legolas

I never heard of it...It looks interesting! Thanks for the post!

• riotgirlpeeps
    riotgirlpeeps

First thought when seeing this thread was "Jesus Christ the Vampire Hunter" beyond b movie considered a C movie.

But never heard of the mysteries before and may be worth looking into.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Here's an interesting page to compare Freke & Gandy's views with other current theories on the historical Jesus:

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I read the book a few years ago, I enjoyed the way they demonstrated the parallel development of Christain and Greek myththemes, yet they are not well studied on the finer points. Some of the authors at the link Narkissos offered are better choices for understanding why a growing number of researchers are reconsidering whether there ever existed a single indentity "Jesus of Nazareth'. Christan apologists have exploited a couple errors in the book and characterized the whole thesis as 19th century bunk. In my opinion the roots of Christianity are in Hellenized Judaism. This means that some of the parallels drawn are either the result of the Greek influences on the Jewish prechristian writers or are secondary (added layers of tradition and identity) to the emergence of the new cult. This better appreciates the developements in Judaism and accords with the general admission in the NT that the religion spawned from Judaism's apocalyptic and messianic speculations.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My assessment is very similar to that of PP. If I were to give my own recommendation, the two books by G. A. Wells (The Jesus Legend and The Jesus Myth) are well worth the read, they offer some solid scholarship and astute analysis of the historical evidence. They bring into the picture a lot of stuff overlooked by Freke & Gandy.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I've read the books written by Wells, alluded to by Leolaia. My buddy who's as interested if not more about early xtianity and origins of such belef systems has The Jesus Mysteries but I haven't bothered to ask to borrow it. Instead I've asked to borrow his three Chuck Klosterman books which were dar more entertaining.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I've also trudged through Jesus Christ - Sun of God and a few other books attempting to place the Christ/Messiah/Savior Myth identical to Jesus as being borrowed from all these other mystic religions. Ho hum. It's fun to read, I suppose, if you feel you have something to prove. Right now, I usually smile at people that want to argue with me and say "I have to go feed my cats."

• TimGolden
    TimGolden

Greetings, I've read the Jesus Mysteries and am currently reading the author's follow up book, "The Laughing Jesus". I found both books certainly worth the effort. The similarities between the Jesus story and the earlier pagan godmen are striking, thus the books can be faith wrecking so be warned. (Smile) Regards, Tim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit